Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 24 Aug 01 at 16:23 PM


The Bees paraded 6`4" new signing Ben Burgess in their first home League game of the season against a Port Vale side who have proven to be the Division`s form team.

He partnered youngster Kevin O`Connor as the twin spearhead in the absence of the sick Lloyd Owusu.

Jason Price another summer signing made his home debut on the right of a four-man midfield.

After just two minutes a slack clearance by Walsh led to Gavin Mahon heading the ball back deep into the area where the visiting keeper gathered just ahead of Burgess and O`Connor.

Three minutes later Vale were claiming a penalty when the chasing Darren Powell, and the pursued Steve McPhee were both grounded in the area. But the referee who was well placed waved aside the spot kick claims.

A superb save by Oli Gott in the 7th minute from O`Callaghan`s left footed strike led to the game's first corner. This resulted in another goalbound strike this time from Burton which was brilliantly turned aside by Oli from just a few yards.

On 12 minutes Paul Evans played wide to Michael Dobson whose resultant centre was headed wide by Burgess.

Three minutes later a 30 yard piledriver from Dobson flew just wide of the left hand post.

Midway through the half another curling centre from Dobson flew just beyond the on rushing Bees strikers.

In the 28th minute an expertly placed ball into the path of Price from O`Connor, allowed the Welshman a shot at goal. The shot was deflected as far as Burgess who also saw his effort blocked and eventually cleared.

Four minutes later and Price was played through by a fine clearance header from Powell. But he rushed his shot and it flashed well wide of the target.

Kevin O`Connor surpassed even his earlier fine ball when he laid the perfect ball into the path of the on running Price again. This time the resultant shot was deflected for a corner.the Bees first.

The half ended with a number of corners for the visitors, which made it seven for the half and two bookings, Dobson for Brentford and McPhee for Port Vale.

Two minutes after the break a first time centre from Price left Mahon in possession in the area. But the Vale defence recovered their ground at the half chance was gone.

In the 49th minute Evo took a free kick just outside the area. It was blocked but the loose ball was lobbed back to the waiting Ijah Anderson to the left of the area. He centred and Mahon lifted his foot only to see his shot cannon off the foot of the post.

Three minutes later Paul Gibbs cut down the left flank inside his own area before he was cruelly challenged by Burton. The referee allowed play to go on and the ball ran to Burgess who was himself impeded fifteen yards outside the area. Having shown Burton the yellow card he awarded a free kick. Mahon stepped up and touched it short to Evo who cracked the ball home just inside the left-hand post. A classic strike from the Bees skipper.

This was just the fillip the Bees and their fans required and with the home supporters now at the end in which the Bees were playing towards it led to an atmospheric period of play.

But again the visitors were screaming for a penalty, this time on the hour mark, when McPhee played a one two on the edge of the box, but was upended in the area. But again the referee waved play on and Vale's only reward was another corner.their ninth and last of the game!

In the 67th minute a long clearance from Oli Gott was headed on by Burgess with O`Connor just failing to make the route one move count.

Then Mahon by way of Burgess played the ball out to Gibbs. His curling centre was turned goalwards by Price only to see the ball kicked off the line at the last.

With 12 minutes on the clock Price played a long diagonal ball for Burgess on the left. He turned and cut in before sending the ball across the area. Price played the ball back and O`Connor saw his shot deflected for a corner.

Three minutes later Steve Hunt replaced Gibbs.

On 84 minutes Ivar Ingimarsson seized on a chance created when Brooker lost possession. He ran on and having beaten two players played short to Ben Burgess just outside the area. The 19 year old striker with all the confidence in the world looked up and stroked the ball home sweetly with his left foot.

A couple of minutes later Gavin Mahon who had taken a slight knock was replaced by Mark Williams.

And that was that.a great result.a great atmosphere.onwards and upwards.

    Latest Match Reports