Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 28 Aug 01 at 09:14 AM


The Bees made it four wins in succession and in doing so moved up to second place in the Second Division this afternoon with a hard fought victory against uncompromising Cambridge United.

A double strike from "Captain Fantastic" Paul Evans, making it four in five appearances for the skipper set the Bees up for victory even though they conceded an 80th minute tap in from the visiting captain Paul Wanless.

The Bees welcomed back Lloyd Owusu with Kevin O`Connor reverting to the bench.

Cambridge went straight into the attack from the kick off and won a free kick wide of the area. But Darren Powell cleared the danger and won a free kick in doing so.

In the third minute an excellent throw from Michael Dobson was chested down by Lloyd Owusu and into the path of Stephen Hunt who powered the ball over from ten yards out. Jason Price then played the ball wide to Dobbo who played in a great centre which was met by Owusu`s head. His effort was blocked and almost immediately another Dobbo centre came thundering in. This time it just eluded Hunt.

Cambridge forced the first corner in the 7th minute following a break by Leon Kelly down the right flank. A clash of heads between Powelly and Paul Wanless halted proceedings for a few minutes.

A through ball from Evans on the quarter hour mark picked out Gavin Mahon. But he shot weakly wide from 25 yards.

A 17 minute free kick was amazingly awarded to United as Dobbo was obstructed on the line as he attempted a throw in.a situation which was allowed to continue unabated all afternoon! From the free kick Oli Gott cleared the ball at the foot of the post for a corner.

Valiant running by Hunt saw him win the ball as Perez cleared for the visitors. But he then lost control having done all the hard work.

Midway through the half Owusu touched on for Ben Burgess who in turn played wide to Price. But Perez just beat Owusu to the resultant centre.

On 27 minutes a crossfield ball from Mahon picked out Price. He duly cut in and centred whereupon Hunt shot narrowly wide.

In the 32nd minute a piece of tremendous football followed the awarding to Brentford of a free kick wide on the right. Paul Evans whipped in one of his quick thinking centres which was met perfectly by a downward header from Owusu. A goal looked a certainty but somehow Perez got his hand to the ball and pushed it away for a corner.

A minute or so later and the Bees were awarded a penalty as a long ball forward from Dobbo saw both United`s Andy Duncan and Lloyd Owusu give chase. The Bees striker was sent sprawling in the area and Evo duly stepped up to crack the ball home from the spot.

Two minutes later and Perez did well to thwart Owusu who looked set to double the Bees lead.

Then at the other end Cambridge went close when the gangly form of David Kitson lobbed the ball onto the bar from beyond the near post.

United forced three more corners as the half time whistle approached.

Tom Youngs replaced Marcus Richardson for the visitors at the start of the second half.

Three minutes later and the Bees were two up. It started with Dobbo playing forward to Price wide on the right. His centre was met by Hunt who directed his header against the underside of the crossbar and away. The loose ball though was met by Burgess who wisely headed the ball back into the danger area whereupon Evo met it with a scissor kicking volley.

In the 53rd minute Hunt once again showed excellent determination in winning a ball which most certainly wasn't his to win. He in turn played in on to Owusu who ran on and blasted the ball narrowly wide of the target.

Then a terrific ball from Owusu was played crossfield to price. He cut in and fired wide. The Bees at this juncture were playing good adventurous football which was a joy to watch.

Midway through the half three long throws in very quick succession each from the long throwing Terry Fleming were headed away by Powell with another centre being kicked to safety by the same player.

Then we saw two superb long balls forward from Paul Gibbs, the first towards Burgess and the second to Price, both of which were deserving of more reward.

Then on the 70 minute mark Price having beaten two players played on to Burgess, but the Bees big forward failed to capitalise.

Cambridge were finding it hard to make any sort of headway against a resolute Bees defence, a strong unit ahead of them in midfield, and an attack which looked ever dangerous.

But with ten minutes remaining on the clock United reduced the arrears. A corner winged it's way in from the right. The Bees failed to clear and Wanless stole in to drive the ball home from a yard out.

The remaining ten minutes, plus the four added on by the referee, gave a few palpitations to the Bees fans amongst the attendant 4,674 spectators. But in truth the Bees were rarely rattled and in fact it was Brentford who may well have added to the score when Price saw his effort hoicked to safety off the United line as the Bees forced two late corners.

So it meant the Bees had made it four wins out of four and had eased into second place.

Bees: Gottskalksson, Dobson, Powell, Ingimarsson, Gibbs, Price, Evans, Mahon, Hunt (Williams 89), Owusu (O`Connor 77), Burgess. Subs unused: P Smith, Partridge and Theobald.

Attendance: 4,674

Sponsors` Man of the Match: Darren Powell

    Latest Match Reports