Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 18 Sep 01 at 23:19 PM


Unbeaten Brentford and Bristol City finished the game as they started ... unbeaten.
The two sides shared four goals with the Bees going into the break 2-1 up.
The Bees had to make one change from Saturday with Jay Lovett coming in to replace the injured Michael Dobson. There was encouraging early play from the Bees with both Lovett and Paul Gibbs featuring regularly on the overlap. In the eighth minute from a long ball forward by Mickey Bell, Murray Scott put his shot against the foot of the right hand post. A minute later and Gibbs swept down the touch line before playing on to Lloyd Owusu who showed his pace before laying the ball back for Ben Burgess who swept his shot goalwards and straight into the arms of the waiting Mike Stowell. The play moved from end to end before in the 17th minute a Tinnion free kick was tipped over the bar by Oli Gott. From the ensuing corner the ball was cleared to the edge of the area whereupon Tinnion dispatched the ball low into the back of the net. Three minutes later Paul Evans on the half way line played the ball long into the path of Jason Price in the area. Price took control and on turning sent his shot over the bar. Six minutes later Ben Burgess equalised with a goal that will rarely be beaten in sheer class. Having seized on a loose ball in midfield following a forward header by Gavin Mahon, he had the impudence to bamboozle five players in total as he ran a few rings round them, and then when 25 yards from goal he simply lifted his left foot and glided the ball home past the hapless keeper. A quality goal. A further five minutes on and a characteristic free kick from Paul Evans wide on the left was drilled in to the area and Darren Powell headed the ball into the back of the net. In the 32nd minute from a deep defensive situation, the Bees swept forward through Adrian Caseras who played on to Price and Evans. Evo played wide to Burgess who played the perfect ball low across the area whereupon Owusu failed to slide the ball home at the far post. But come the break and the Bees held a deserved lead. The Bees seem to allow City to come at them whilst they soaked up any such pressure at a distance. Meanwhile they pushed forward at every opportunity in their attempt to extend their lead. But with the Bees seemingly moving on to a priceless victory, 15 minutes from the end Darren Powell needlessly conceded an indirect free kick in the area for a sloppy challenge. From Tinnion`s kick Paul Evans allowed the ball to crash against his hand and the referee pointed to the spot. Seconds later Mickey Bell thrashed the ball home and the scores were level again. The Bees had a chance to claim the full three points deep into time added on by the referee. But from Evans inswinging corner the ball was claimed by Stowell on the line as the ref blew the whistle. Bees: Gottskalksson, Lovett (Williams 90), Ingimarsson, Mahon, Powell, Gibbs, Price, Evans, Caseras (Rowlands 78), Burgess, Owusu (O`Connor 68). Subs not used: P Smith & Anderson. Attendance: 6,342

    Latest Match Reports