Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 24 Sep 01 at 09:40 AM


Two goals in as many minutes at the start of the second half against Oldham Athletic was enough to give the Bees a second successive 2-2 draw. But the Bees can only rue the chances they missed in the opening half with both Darren Powell and Lloyd Owusu failing to capitalise on heaven sent chances.

The Bees included fit again Michael Dobson in place of Jay Lovett in an otherwise unchanged side.

It was the visitors who forced the games first corner in the 2nd minute following a free kick on the left which was tipped aside by Oli Gott. Paul Rickers headed over the bar.

Three minutes later a long throw from Michael Dobson was back headed by Ben Burgess into the area just vacated by Lloyd Owusu.

A minute later Evo flashed a free kick into the box and Owusu swiveled only to send his shot straight to the keeper.

Another opportunist free kick by Evo three minutes later flashed just past the post.

Rickers had a half chance to give the visitors the lead in the 13th minute, but as he turned in the area the ball was swiftly taken off his feet.

Excellent play by Powell in the 16th minute saw him play forward for Owusu who earned the Bees a corner.

Five minutes later it was Matthew Tipton who turned and skied his shot over the bar following good approach work by Craig Dudley.

Midway through the half Owusu and Caceres combined well and the move resulted in a free kick for the Bees out wide. Evans screwed the ball in high and the keeper did well to take the ball off of Burgess` head.

Gavin Mahon was well placed to clear under pressure from a Rickers through ball and in turn started a move which resulted in yet another Paul Evans free kick. He flighted the ball perfectly which was met by Darren Powell who had raced clear. But his header smacked against the post when he really should have scored.

Two minutes later Owusu and Price again progressed well and the ball was played out wide to Dobson. He sent in a well flighted centre and Owusu rose only to see hi s header flash wide of the net when once again a goal seemed the easier option!

This was a good period of play for the Bees and the Latics looked as though they may wilt under the pressure.

In the 33rd minute Kelly did well when coming outside his area to quell a Jason Price run, after he had been put clear by Evans.

But the ball then broke to the fare end and a Carlo Corazzin centre was volleyed into the net by Paul Rickers.
The Bees took a time to settle themselves down after that.

Seconds before the break Lloyd Owusu was booked.

The Bees were now playing towards the Brook Road goal and within sixty seconds they were back on level terms following a long ball forward from Paul Gibbs. The Bees were to gain a corner from which Lloyd Owusu was on hand at the near post to head home his second goal of the season.
Almost straight from the kick off Oldham were under pressure and as Ben Burgess looked to capitalise on an error by Gary Kelly who failed to hold the ball, he was held back by the keeper. The Assistant Referee saw the incident and a penalty was awarded which Paul Evans duly dispatched.

The Bees were now powering forward and Powell headed over an Evans centre in the 52nd minute.

In the 56th minute excellent play by Burgess set up first Caceres then Price as the Bees continued to bombard the visitor's goal.

Two minutes later and Darren Powell brilliantly beat three players as he moved forward before playing forward for Burgess who duly cut in and shot at the keeper.

Ten minutes later Owusu received the ball, beat two defenders on the edge of the area but sent his shot curling just wide of the far right hand post.

Martin Rowlands came on as a sub for Caceres in the 69th minute.

Four minutes later and the visitors were level when Corazzin cracked home from a left wing corner.

Four minutes on and Rowlands pressed the self-destruct button when he was instantly dismissed for a very rash challenge, and with it went the Bees real hopes of securing a late winner.

The Bees brought on Ijah Anderson in place of Owusu with ten minutes remaining. Oldham now looked to pick up the tempo as they sought a winner. But in fairness to the Bees they too had their chances to secure a late victory.

The Bees felt they may have been awarded a second penalty in time added on but the referee felt that the keepers challenge on late sub Mark Williams did not warrant a spot kick.
But on looking back the Bees can only blame themselves for not having taken more of the many chances they made

However the point gained moved the Bees up into second place.

Bees: Gottskalksson, Dobson, Ingimarsson, Powell, Gibbs, Price (Williams 88), Evans, Mahon, Caceres (Rowlands 69), Burgess, Owusu (Anderson 80).
Attendance: 5,525

    Latest Match Reports