Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 20 Nov 01 at 21:44 PM


  Brentford welcomed back captain Paul Evans and Stephen Hunt from injury and suspension respectively. Huddersfield captain Steve Jenkins returned from injury to take his place at right back for the terriers.   Brentford enjoyed early domination with a series of long Paul Gibbs throw ins causing The Terriers problems. The Bees came closest on seven minutes, Lloyd Owusu's through ball to O'Connor, whose cross was gathered by Margetson in the Huddersfield goal. Danny Schofield then had Town's first shot on goal twelve minutes in.   The Owusu/Burgess combination gave Huddersfield trouble throughout the half, with the formers header on 24 minutes from a Dobson cross the closest The Bees came to scoring. A minute later good work on the left from Schofield let Andy Booth in for a header on the far post but it went wide.  Ben Burgess shot fired over the bar after good work from Evans on 33 minutes, moments later another left foot shot from the Buxton born striker flashed wide of the post. With five minutes remaining, The Bees forced two corners but Evans delivery could not outfox The Terriers defence.   With a minute remaining, Brentford's best chance of the half came when a Gavin Mahon free kick was headed on by Burgess, who in turn flicked it to Lloyd Owusu.   HALF-TIME: HUDDERSFIELD TOWN 0  BRENTFORD 0   Three minute after the re-start Huddersfield had a goal disallowed for an infringement, but the warning signs were not heeded.   54 minutes in, disaster for The Bees. A rasping shot from Kenny Irons was brilliantly saved by Oli Gott who then clawed away an effort from Andy Booth but the ball found it's way to Leon Knight and he firmly tucked the ball into an empty net.   HUDDERSFIELD TOWN 1 BRENTFORD 0   58 minutes gone, Leon Knight's cross/shot was cleared off the line by Dobson, and Schofield then blasted over from an acute angle.   On 65 minutes, Burgess could have leveled for The bees but was disposed at the vital moment. Huddersfield then took the bull by the horns, shaking the Brentford defence with attack after attack.   With fifteen minutes left, Martin Rowlands replaced Stephen Hunt. Five minutes later Mark McCammon substituted Kevin O'Connor, The Bees changing to 4-3-3.   With time ticking away Hutchinson bolstered the midfield, Evans trudging off disappointed. Martin Rowlands had The Bees best effort of the half, but his shot was blocked. Lloyd Owusu raced away in the final minutes passing the keeper but the angle was too tight and Town cleared his shot.   But with seconds left in normal time Ben Burgess out of nothing scored a dramatic goal when he belted in a ball from a ruck of players.


    Latest Match Reports