Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 01 Dec 01 at 16:58 PM


  A surprise in the selection, with Martin Rowlands dropping out and Steve Sidwell taking his place on the right hand side of the midfield.   The first Bees corner on seven minutes came to nothing, Hunt giving the ball away. Lloyd Owusu saved the Bees blushes when he fended away a dangerous.    After a small period of pressure, The Bees took the lead from another set piece, a Gibbs corner found it's way to Evans whose swirling cross met Lloyd Owusu, and his bullet header went past Martin Taylor in the Wycombe goal to give The Bees the lead on 12 minutes.   WYCOMBE WANDERERS 0 BRENTFORD 1   20 minutes in, a good save by Oli Gott diving low to his left from Walker, the Icelandic stopper redeemed himself after his poor clearance.   After 24 minutes, a neat flick from Owusu found Sidwell but his shot was deflected away for a corner.   Two minutes later, an Evans corner found Ivar Ingimarsson, his forward run in the penalty area on the left hand side led to a foul and referee P. Dowd awared a penalty despite Ivar retaining the ball. Evans shot low to the right hand side, beating the despairing dive of Martin Taylor to record his ten goal of the season.   WYCOMBE 0 BRENTFORD 2   Just sixty seconds later, the Welshman saw Taylor of his line, Evans tried a lob from 40 yards, the ball just going wide. Brentford had a scare when Gottskalksson dropped a cross and Rammell missed from just two yards out.   With eight minutes left to the break, Burgess should have extended The Bees lead, but his left footed shot from the edge of the area went over the bar.   With three minutes left of the half, a soft free kick, for which Paul gibbs was booked, was taken by Darren Currie was deflected by the Brentford wall, and Oli Gott could only watch as the ball went in the net.   WYCOMBE WANDERERS 1 BRENTFORD 2   There were no further incidents of note and the first half ended.   HALF TIME: WYCOMBE WANDERERS 1 BRENTFORD 2   A period of Wycombe pressure paid off when a fabulous strike from Chris Vinnicombe on the edge of the penalty area landed in the top right of the goal, giving Oli Gott no chance.   WYCOMBE WANDERERS 2 BRENTFORD 2   Brentford shrugged up their sleeves and great cross by Lloyd Owusu on the right hand side met big Ben Burgess, whose header from six yards gave Martin Taylor no chance and The Bees restored the lead.   WYCOMBE WANDERERS 2 BRENTFORD 3   On 63 minutes, a mistake from Ivar Ingimarsson in the penalty area let Wycombe in, the first effort was blocked by Oli Gott, but Rammell let rip to equalize for the Blues.   WYCOMBE WANDERERS 3 BRENTFORD 3   On 69 minutes, the see saw score continued, Andy Rammell again exposed the weak Brentford defence, side footing the ball past Oli Gott to give Wycombe the lead.   WYCOMBE WANDERERS 4 BRENTFORD 3   Moments later, a Paul Evans shot from the half way line caught Taylor unawares and he did well to tip it over the bar. Mark McCammon replaced Micheal Dobson with moments remaining to salvage something but he only succeeded in getting booked for a late challenge.   With Brentford pressing forward, Bulman stroked the ball past Gottskalksson to give wycombe a nap hand deep into injury time.   WYCOMBE WANDERERS 5 BRENTFORD 3

    Latest Match Reports