Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 16 Mar 02 at 19:24 PM


Phew!!! That just about sums up what was a heart stopping match for Bees fans. It had started with the Bees very much on top after they had taken a sixth minute lead through man of the match Ivar Ingimarsson, and in truth they should have almost guaranteed the result early on with chances going begging left, right and centre.

But as the game wore on Wycombe seemed to grow in confidence from the fact that everything the Bees were trying wasn't quite coming off. But the home side held firm and the final whistle came as a blessed relief when blown by referee Taylor.

The Bees had welcomed back Stephen Hunt following a one match suspension, whilst David Theobald came in for his first game of the year in place of hamstring victim Darren Powell. But it was the visitor's who challenged first with Andy Ramell`s shot being deflected wickedly off of Theobald. Paul Smith reacted well and managed to gather the ball at the second attempt.

Brentford took the play to the far end and forced the game's first corner. The centre was cleared out wide to Hunt who laid the ball off to Paul Evans who cracked a terrific shot which keeper Martin Taylor did well to block at the foot of the post. From the ensuing corner from Evans, Michael Dobson flicked it on with his head, and Ivar Ingimarsson was there to steal himself in between two defenders and fire the ball home.

Five minutes later terrific play by Evo saw him win the ball and play on for Lloyd Owusu. Lloyd chipped the ball over his marker but it failed to run kindly for him and the chance was gone. Three minutes on and Taylor did well to gather the ball on the edge of the area after Ben Burgess had played the ball through for Owusu. Lloyd then saw his overhead kick fly high over the bar.

At this stage Brentford were doing all the positive running and were creating chances, while Wanderers failed to penetrate the Bees` rear guard when they did have possession. Midway through the half good interplay between Ijah Anderson and Stephen Hunt set up a mini bombardment on the visitor's goal.

In quick succession, first Burgess, then Owusu and Rowlands had goalbound shots blocked. Then Hunt took a free kick wide on the right and his shot was palmed away at the last by Taylor. In the 25th minute a throw in was flicked on by Burgess and Rowlands, playing against his former club, fired wide of an open goal. A minute later Wycombe went close when Darren Currie fired powerfully into the side netting.

But Brentford came back when the ball was cleared long to Owusu who turned and set Rowlands off who saw his resultant shot from twenty five yards fly wide of the target. Come the 33rd minute Burgess headed wide from Hunt's centre.

A couple of minutes later Dobbo made a telling interception just inside his area when two visiting players looked set to receive with the goal and Paul Smith at their mercy. Wycombe went on to force two quick corners, from the first of which Owusu cleared off the line.

The feeling at the break was that hopefully the Bees would get a better "run of the ball" after the interval. But instead it seemed at times like a "backs to the wall" job. Brentford drew first blood forcing a corner and a couple of minutes later Ijah set Lloyd Owusu through, but he shot wide.

Then Hunt picked up a loose ball and played to Steven Sidwell. He fired in a superb shot which brought out an equally good save from Taylor. Seconds later Rowlands with a thirty-yard volley out of the blue, could only find the side netting. Ramell, whose bulk and experience had proved problematic all afternoon, sent in an effort towards the far post .

But Smith was there to gather at full stretch. Five minutes later Mark Rogers headed wide of the target. But the Bees came back again through Anderson who beat three players in quick succession wide on the left. But his resultant centre was driven too hard across the face of the goal.

In the 58th minute Sidwell once again sent in a cracking shot from 25 yards out. But once again Wycombe`s man of the match, Mark Taylor was equal to it. Both sides then shared four corners before Wycombe brought on Jermaine McSporran for Steve Brown. Ramell headed wide from an immediate centre from McSporran and a minute later the visiting sub was again in action when he whipped in a dangerous looking centre. But Ivar was there to clear for the Bees.

Ramell shot wide of the target with 15 minutes remaining. But shortly after Evo cleared the ball forward and Owusu was just beaten on the edge of the area by Taylor. For the next ten minutes of "normal" time, Wycombe forced a number of corners as the Bees were finding it increasingly difficult to settle on the ball.

The Bees then brought on Jay Tabb for Hunt in the 87th minute. As the match moved into "time added on" the Bees themselves forced three late corners which eased the heart palpitations of the attendant Bee's fans.

When the whistle was finally blown, Brentford had registered their fifth match consecutive match without conceding a goal and more importantly had picked up another important three points.

    Latest Match Reports