Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 01 Apr 02 at 16:57 PM


Brentford made one enforced change from the side that beat Stoke, Kevin O'Connor in for hamstring victim Ben Burgess. Darren Powell returned to the sixteen, albeit as sub.

The Bees made the early running on the threadbare pitch, watched by the massed ranks of Bees fans behind the goal.

Brentford's first real attempt on goal came in the sixteenth minute, Smith's long punt was collected by Sidwell, whose fine cross from the right hand side was headed away to safety in the nick of time. A minute later, Lloyd Owusu's glancing shot flashed just past the post after Paul Evans delivered a pacy ball into the box.

Ten minutes later Michael Dobson's cross cum shot went just over. On 28 minutes Bury got their chance of the game and their first shot on target, but Phil Clarkson could only put the ball straight into the arms of Paul Smith. On the half hour mark, Dobson flicked header looped over the bar from a Paul Evans free kick.

Brentford recieved a setback with Martin Rolwands hobbling off with five minutes left of the half, Mark Williams taking his place. Bury nealry stoke a first half lead, Nelson just failing to get a toe on a free kick awarded by an increasingly over enthusiastic assistant-referee.

The first ten minutes of thesecond half was action packed, with 47 minutes gone, Bury took the lead against the run of play, Chris Billy smashing a great volley from the edge of the area, which nestled into the corner. Bury could have doubled their lead, but Smith made a fantastic reaction save from The Shakers Jon Newby, the ball cannoning off his legs when it looked a certain goal.

Mark Williams blotted his copybook with a booking for dissent as The Bees struggled to cope with the bumpy pitch.

On 74 minutes with Brentford attacking, the ball broke lose for The Shakers and Chris Billy checked inside the area to make it 2-0. Five minutes later, Bury could have increased their lead. Evans cleanrace miskicked and David Borley, looking suspicously offside, ran the length of The Bees half but Anderson outpaced him to clear it to safety. Bury held out and the 959 Bees fans went home pointless.

    Latest Match Reports