Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 13 Apr 02 at 16:03 PM


A tense atmosphere at Loftus Road with both sides cagey but The Bees could not get a stronghold on the game in the first five minutes. Brentford's first chance came on 11 minutes but Owusu could make contact from an Evans free kick. Ijah Anderson tried a rare shot but went wide of the target.

The Bees survived a penalty scare on 15 minutes when Gallen went down under the challenge of Powell in the area but the referee waived play on.

Ben Burgess cuased havoc in the 19th minutes but when he was challenged the referee booked Burgess for diving, 60 seconds later, Stephen Hunt was also shown the yellow card by Mr Foy.

Lloyd Owusu nearly scored a dramatic own goal, his header flashing just wide of the post when he tried to clear away a dangerous corner but lloyd could have made amends with 32 minutes on the clock after the bess won their first corner of the match. Evans' superb ball in the area found Owusu, but his header was wide of the goal.

Martin Rowlands went on a mazy run with ten minutes left of the half but the final ball was found wanting. Darren Powell was the victim of an ugly challenge by Richard Langley, who was rightly booked. Lloyd Owusu had another chance go begging, but his first time shot wnet over.

Martin Rowlands became the third Bee in the book after his clumsy challenge on Marcus Bignot on 43 minutes.

The second half started with a suprise substitution, Mark McCammon replacing Ben Burgess in attack. Brentford looked more purposeful on the turnaround forcing a quick corner and getting to grips with the Loftus Road turf.

And it was Mark McCammon who nearly gave Brentford the lead on 63 minutes with a snap shot, Lloyd Owusu bundling the ball wide when it looked as it had gone in to the 3,000 Bees faithfull in the 18,346 crowd.

Rangers produced their move of the second half on 71 minutes, Matthew Rose shooting just wide from the edge of the area after great work from Jerome Thomas.

Brentford continued to dominate, forcing two corners in sucession, with Mark McCammon's header caming within a whisker of breaking the deadlock. He was later booked with twelve minutes left for a foul.

Matthew Rose had an identical effort but shot well over. Rangers made a valiant effort to score with two minutes left but Shittu could not make it and Brentford and Queen Park Rangers played out a goalless draw.

    Latest Match Reports