Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 21 Sep 02 at 19:15 PM


The Bees continued their unbeaten home record with the narrowest of wins against Wanderers. But it required a 56th minute penalty from Stephen Hunt, his third of the season, to separate the two sides.

Brentford included Leo Roget and Ben Chorley as a centre half pairing to the exclusion of Sonko on International duty, and Somner to the substitute bench.

The Bees forced two very early corners with Jamie Fullarton sending his shot over the bar.

But neither side was able to stamp their authority on the game.

In the fifteenth minute Wanderers forced their first corner of the game and from it Andy Thomson found himself with a free header. But he chose the more difficult option and saw his header cannon off the far post.

Five minutes later a threatening run by the shaven headed Rowan Vine saw him progress into the area. But unfortunately his pas to the well placed Mark McCammon fell just behind the Bees tall striker and he failed to capitalise on the chance.

The Bees gained another corner but from the clearance the visitors broke through Dannie Bulman. His pace took him deep into the Bees half, with Ijah Anderson in hot pursuit. Bulman tried to play the ball into the path of Craig Faulconbridge but there was Hunt who had also kept well up with play, to smother the chance.

Wanderers used this chance as a springboard for a period of pressure on the Bees goal. But the only shot came from Steve Brown which was blocked for a corner.

With ten minutes remaining of the half, McCammon and Vine combined well to set up a chance for Eddie Hutchinson. The midfielder's shot though was underhit and was deflected wide of the target.

Referee Steve Dunn had to bring his yellow card out twice in the space of a minute when first Brown, and then Roget, were cautioned.

The first half closed with a fine save by Paul Smith at full stretch.

Two minutes after the break Brown fired a shot wide of the goal, while five minutes later a perfectly timed tackle by Roget on Bulman on the edge of the area, deprived the visitors of a good chance to take the lead.

In the 55th minute Kevin O`Connor whipped in a right-footed free kick which was punched away by Martin Taylor at the far post. From the resultant throw in, the ball was blocked and cleared long upfield. Within the minute Ben Chorley cleared long for Vine, and as the Bees loanee forward turned inside the box, Paul McCarthy pulled him down and the referee immediately pointed to the spot.

Up stepped Stephen Hunt and confidently swept the ball home.

Wanderers looked to get back on level terms and in so doing forced a number of quick corners.

With 18 minutes remaining manager Sanchez made three substitutions.Roberts, Devine and Currie coming on for Johnson, Brown and Faulconbridge. Within two minutes Stuart Roberts had the chance to gain the label, "super sub". But with the goal at his mercy just eight yards out he managed to miss the target totally.

The Bees themselves made a substitution in the 84th minute when Leon Constantine replaced Mark McCammon.

Wanderers gained their ninth corner in the 86th minute from which Currie saw his shot run safely through to Paul Smith.

Minutes before the end Senda became the second Wycombe player to be booked for a crunching tackle on Hunt.

In the dying minutes of the game Andy Rammell saw his flying header veer over the bar from Currie`s right wing centre.

Bees: P Smith, Dobson, Chorley, Roget, Anderson, O`Connor, Hutchinson, Fullarton, Hunt, McCammon (Constantine 84), Vine. Subs unused: Julian, Evans, Williams & Somner.

Attendance: 6,172

    Latest Match Reports