Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Oct 02 at 17:46 PM


It was former Fulham player Kevin Betsy who came up trumps for The Tykes with a brace of goals, one in each half, to grab the full haul of points for Barnsley as they took all three points.

Barnsley took just thirteen minutes to get their noses in front when a long clearance caught the Senegalese international defender, Ibu Sonko, on the wrong foot. The ball fell kindly for Bruce Dyer who took it on a stride before placing his shot wide of Brentford keeper Paul Smith. But the ball cannoned off the foot of the right hand post. However Betsy reacted quicker than the home custodian and he got the all-important touch and rolled the ball into the net.

The same player almost doubled Barnsley`s lead ten minutes later with an overhead kick. But Michael Dobson was well placed to clear for Brentford.

But then in the 26th minute Brentford were back on level terms. From their first corner Dobson`s inswinging kick looked destined for the net, and was helped on it's way by Mark McCammon.

The equalising goal lifted the home side and within three minutes should have done better when Stephen Hunt won the ball in midfield and beat two on the edge of the area. But his resultant shot was wayward.

With eight minutes of the half remaining Betsey played wide for Dyer. But this time Ijah Anderson was on hand to block any chance Barnsley may have had on regaining the lead.

In the 40th minute Fullarton`s free kick from wide on the left found it's way into the area. But referee Cable had seen an infringement by Keith Curle and in showing him a yellow card also pointed to the spot. He also found time to book Steve Hayward for encroaching into the area. But when Hunt eventually stepped up to take his fourth penalty of the season, he managed to hit it weakly wide of the post.

With two minutes of the half remaining Mitch Ward became the third red to be shown a yellow card.

The second half saw Brentford come back into the game but it was Barnsley, and Betsy in particular who were to win the day.

In the 81st minute, seconds after Dean Gorre had replaced Dyer, he ran on and fired the ball wide of Smith just inside the near post.

Four minutes later Ward was show another yellow card, swiftly followed by a red, and thus Barnsley had to play out the remaining time with ten men.

Brentford: P Smith, Dobson, Sonko, Roget, Anderson, O`Connor, Hutchinson, Fullarton, Hunt (Evans 64), McCammon (Constantine 80), Rowan

    Latest Match Reports