Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 30 Oct 02 at 00:29 AM


A disappointing result for the Bees this evening after the fine win at Stockport just three days previously. Even more importantly was the cronic lack of goal chances, with the odd exception, that were created on the night.

Wally Downes kept faith with the winning side and included new signing Andy Frampton on the bench. Brentford forced the first corner of the game in the second minute when Michael Dobson just got his foot to the ball beyond the far post and in doing so forced keeper Luke McCormick into a goal line save.

Plymouth who had made a number of changes to their side following their home defeat on Saturday, went close in the 6th minute through Norris. It was the livewire Rowan Vine who sent in a fine shot from the edge of the area in the 11th minute which flew narrowly wide of the mark. Stephen Hunt had a shot blocked on the run in the 17th minute. Two minutes later and a slip by Scott Marshall let in Marino Keith for a run at goal. He had to work hard though to make the ground and having done so he saw his shot cannon off the foot of the post and into the waiting arms of the grateful Paul Smith.

Another effort from Vine in the 21st minute deserved better than to be saved at the second attempt by the keeper. Around the half hour mark Plymouth first saw Paul Smith gather just short of the line and then Michael Evans fire just wide through a ruck of players. A terrific shot from Marshall in the 37th minute caught everybody out except, unfortunately, the keeper. The half ended with Vine again going close and then Plymouth forcing a late corner.

The second half opened with Mark Williams coming on for Eddie Hutchinson for a Club record breaking 59th substitute appearance. The Bees forced two early corners as the second half got underway, but it was Plymouth who went close in the 54th minute when a cracking shot by Adams was pushed aside by the airborne. On the hour a dazzling run by Mark McCammon took him past three players as he made good ground down the left flank.

But having cut inside, his centre lacked the finesse his approach work possessed. Five minutes later and Vine turned and ran in the area, but the keeper responded well to smother. With twenty minutes remaining Jamie Fullarton was replaced by the debutant Frampton. Two minutes later Marino Keith's shot flew high over the bar while in the 75th minute Frampton almost made it a dream debut when his far post header flew just wide of the far right hand post from a corner.

Stephen Hunt was presented with probably the best chance of the match in the 77th minute when Vine turned his marker before entering the area and threading an excellent ball through to Hunt beyond the last marker. But having had the time to pick his spot, he picked one wide of the far post! The final ten minutes saw a few close shaves at either end plus three bookings, two of which went to Vine and Stephen Evans.

Bees: P Smith, Dobson, Evans, Marshall, Somner, O`Connor, Fullarton (Frampton 71), Hutchinson (Williams 45), Hunt, McCammon, Vine.

Subs not used: Julian, J Smith & Constantine.

Attendance: 6,431.

    Latest Match Reports