Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 22 Apr 03 at 15:02 PM


Brentford won convincingly at Chesterfield to secure three points and a double over the Derbyshire side.

Wally Downes made one change from Saturday, replacing Jay Tabb with the more experienced Stephen Evans. Chesterfield manager Dave Rushbury deployed an attacking 3-4-3 formation. Chesterfield provided the game's first opportunity, Mark Hudson whipped in a direct free-kick from the right hand side after Matt Somner was harshly penalised for a foul on Brian Close. Spirerites striker Glynn Hurst struck the ball first time but Bees keeper Paul Smith collected with ease. In the sixteenth minute Mark Peters snap-shot fired wide, after Stephen Hunt bravely headed the ball into his path, evading a home defender's boot in the process.

Twenty minutes had elapsed when The Bees were awarded a free-kick and should have made the most of it. Ibrahima Sonko's pass to Stephen Hunt, his left-wing cross found Mickael Antoine-Curier but the Frenchman failed to connect with the goal at his mercy.

Four minutes later, Chris Brandon's cross narrowly missed the in-running Glynn Hurst with Brentford backline in some array. Ten minutes before half-time, Brentford took the lead against the run of play. After seeing Antoine-Curier give the ball away cheaply, Wally Downes hollered a resounding "get hold of the ball" from the touchline to the Frenchman and my, how he responded, knocking in Stephen Hunt's left wing cross with some aplomb only seconds later.

The Bees were still put under pressure by the home side, Matt Somner coming to the rescue in the 42nd minute, clearing to safety with Blatherwick waiting to pounce. Skipper Michael Dobson - who passed a fitness test before kick-off -was replaced by Andy Frampton at half-time so Matt Somner moved to right back.

In the 53rd minute, Brentford nearly capped a fine end-to end four-man move with a goal. From Hunt's pass to Peters, he fed Stephen Evans and played into the feet of O'Connor but the ball deflected away for a corner. However, The Bees did double their led two minutes later. From a Frampton corner, Kevin O'Connor's header was bundled in by Antoine-Curier barely yards from goal.

The confidence drained for the home side, with the Chesterfield support barracking both manager and players. Antoine-Curier failed to wrap up his hat-trick in the 67th minute, heading wide from three yards out from a Peters cross. Eight minutes later, Stephen Hunt sped through the middle, giving Mark Peters a good opportunity, but Muggleton parried his shot away for a corner.

Chesterfield were reduced to ten as Caleb Folan was stretchered off after a clash of heads, the home side having used all three substitutes. In injury-time, substitute Jay Tabb's free-kick found Somner, but he headed just wide. In stoppage time, Chesterfield had nine men on the park, Chris Brandon also forced to leave the field.

Att: 3296.

    Latest Match Reports