Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 26 Apr 03 at 18:25 PM


Barnsley secured a vital win with a last-gasp goal from Isaiah Rankin. The substitute fired home from the edge of the area in injury-time to give The Tykes a deserved victory.

Wally Downes rested Paul Smith, and gave his understudy Alan Julian only his third of the League season. Rowan Vine, who had recently served a two-match suspension, took a place on the subs bench.

The first half was virtual one-way traffic, with The Bees struggling to get the ball out of their half. The first chance of the game fell to Barnsley's Kevin Betsy in the sixth minute, whose right-foot shot hit the side-netting after leaving Brentford centre-back Scott Marshall for dead. Sixty seconds later, the same attacker forced Alan Julian into a good save, the 20-year-old palming the ball away for a Barnsley corner.

Around the half hour mark Barnsley stepped up a gear, The Bees fortunate not to go behind with shot by Jones, Sheron and Ward going narrowly wide but the biggest let-off came in the 32 minute. Michael Dobson made a hash of his pass back to Marshall, who was robbed by Betsy, the ex-Fulham front man took a shot past Julian but Ibrahima Sonko was on hand to clear off the line. Three minutes later, Julian smothered a shot from Jones

Barnsley's dominance can be measured by the fact Brentford's first shot on goal was a Mark Peters snap-shot from outside the are six minutes before half-time. Just before the break, Sheron shot wide from a testing Mulligan cross.

Five minutes after the break, Stephen Hunt's volley from Fullarton went over the bar. Julian was called on to make a good stop moments after, Betsy again the villain. Brentford's best chance came on the hour mark. Stephen Evans fed Fullarton, and the Scot skied the ball forward to Kevin O'Connor, who rose above the Barnsley defence to head just over the bar.

Fullarton himself went close in the 75th minute after a combination of Kevin O'Connor and Rowan Vine gave him the opportunity to shot wide from outside the penalty area. Despite constant Barnsey's pressure it took until Rankin's last-gasp winner.

    Latest Match Reports