Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 15 Jan 03 at 20:02 PM


The Latics collected all three points in a game Brentford will rue not sharing the spoils as their poor defending let them down at set-pieces.

In a game that seemed to be petering out exploded into life at the end of injury-time as Latics goalkeeper Leslie Pogliacomi was sent-off for appearing to take a swipe at Kevin `O'Connore. The referee had to be escorted from the field with angry scenes all around him.

Wally Downes kept faith with the starting eleven that he originaly picked on the Friday afternoon, with Jay Lovett preferred to the returning Michael Dobson and Martin Rowlands.

Youth team graduates Robert Traynor and Lee Fieldwick were also afforded places on the substitutes bench.

In the sixth minute, Stephen Hunt had the games best opportunity, as the Irishman's mazy run from the left-hand side beat three Oldham defenders. His shot from twelve yards however, was a poor one and skewed well wide.

Former Bee Ben Burgess, who was making his debut for Oldham, settled-in immediately for Oldham, causing Brentford problems with his deft touch and chest-downs.

Oldham grew stronger as the half wore on and this pressure paid off. In the 21st minute Oldham forced two corners and took the lead from the second of these. Fitz Hall rising unmarked to head the ball past Smith from Darren Sheridan's pin-point cross.

If most Oldham folk were to expect further goals from the home side, then they were mistaken, as The Bees bounced back seven minutes later with a real vintage "route-one" goal.

Mark McCammon flicked-on Paul Smith's long goal kick to find Kevin O'Connor, who beat his marker and fired in a shot that flew past a stunned Latics goalkeeper Pogliacomi.

Burgess gave The Bees a lucky escape in the 31st minute; his header from point-blank range went wide when it seemed easier to score.

In the last minute of normal time, Oldham nearly snatched a half-time lead, Julien Baudet's surprise shot from twenty-five yards out nearly caught Bees keeper Paul Smith out, but pushed the ball away at the vital moment.

Brentford has the worst possible start to the second half, as they conceded a soft second goal seventy seconds after the re-start. Latics captain Lee Duxbury waltzed in to head home Chris Armstrong's left-wing cross with several Bees' player guilty of ball-watching.

Around this time the Referee got his hands warm with a spate of cautions for both sides, of this total, McCammon (dissent) and Frampton (foul) entered Mr Clettenburg's notebookWally Downes introduced Rowlands and Dobson midway through the half, replacing Lovett and Williams respectively, and this gave The Bees a firmer edge. The game certainly went up a notch or two, with both sides finding more space to attack their respective goals. Robert Traynor made his league debut on the right wing replacing Jay Smith to give The Bees a 4-4-2 formation. Oldham had the chance to put the game out Brentford's reach, but skipper Lee Duxbury fired wide from Killen's flick on.

Even five minutes of added on time was not enough to save them from defeat as The Bees left Lancashire pointless.

Attendance: 5,039.

    Latest Match Reports