Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 19 Oct 03 at 13:50 PM


A brace from substitute Jay Tabb gives The Bees' a deserved win over Luton Town.

Jay, who scored his first competitive goals in midweek, doubled his tally against The Hatters with well-taken efforts, giving Wally Downes food for thought as he plans his team selection for Tuesday's crunch match with Brighton & Hove Albion.

The victory came at a cost - Tommy Wright was stretchered off the second time in three home games, ankle ligament damage likely to rule him out for at least a month. Stephen Evans and Leo Roget were also substituted with injury problems.

All in all, it was a fully deserved win. Brentford out-gunned their opponents, who before Saturday's match were eleven places above them in the table. Stephen Hunt gave the Bees' a great start in the twelfth minute, capitalising on Tommy Wright's pass to lob Dean Brill in the Luton goal.

The visitors were almost handed a goal on a plate just past the half-hour mark. Awarded a free-kick for a foul on Ben May, Adrian Forbes was clearly encroaching Joel Kitamirike when the on-loan defender struck the ball. It cannoned off Forbes, and he subsequently beat Kitamirike to the ball, firing in a shot that deflected off Leo Roget towards goal. Matt Somner saw the danger and superbly cleared off the line.

Luton equalised two minutes after the break; Adrian Forbes netting despite the attempts of Ben May to rob him of the ball. After this point, it was one-way traffic for the home team. Jay Smith replaced dead-leg victim Stephen Evans in the 54th minute, and within sixty seconds came closest to regaining the lead, Hunt's corner falling nicely for May, whose header hit the underside of The Hatter's crossbar and fell into the arms of a grateful Dean Brill.

However, three minutes later, Brentford forged ahead. A long kick by Paul Smith was flicked on by Ben May which ex-Bee Chris Coyne could not cope with, Tabb beating off the Australian's challenge to slip the ball past Brill. Luton did not lie-down and forced two attacks in as many minutes. Paul Smith and Sonko combined to fend away Foley's drive, and from the resulting corner, Paul Hughes clipped the top of the crossbar.

Tabb was on hand to extend Brentford's lead in the 64th minute, drilling home a Stephen Hunt cross on his weaker right foot from eight yards out. Gary McSheffrey should have pulled a goal back three minutes later, but his first touch from Emmerson Boyce's cross was inches wide of Paul Smith's right-hand post.

With five minutes of normal time left, Brentford put the result beyond doubt, Tabb's goalbound shot turned in by Ben May for his second goal in Bees' colours. Slack marking allowed Luton to grab a second two minutes later, Adrian Forbes rounding Smith slot home.

    Latest Match Reports