Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 19 Nov 03 at 17:15 PM


A dramatic injury-time winner from substitute Jay Tabb gave Brentford a win that spoilt Tony Adams debut as Wycombe manager.

The teenager headed home Matt Somner's flick-on from a Stephen Hunt cross just minutes after replacing Tommy Wright to spark jubilant scenes from the travelling Bees support.

Wally Downes made one change from the side that lost to Queens Park Rangers. He dropped Jay Tabb to the bench, preferring Tommy Wright, who was making his last appearance on loan before returning to Leicester City.

Wycombe started the better of the two sides, forcing two corners in the first five minutes, the second of which led to a header by Andy Thomson going just wide. Eddie Hutchinson appeared to have given Brentford the lead in the tenth minute, but his effort was ruled offside from O'Connor's cross.

Four minutes later, Paul Smith made a rare error by poorly punching a Wycombe cross but Darren Currie could not capitalise on the goalkeeper's error. After a quiet spell for either side, Brentford took the lead in the 28th minute. Michael Dobson's corner gave May a chance, but Thomson cleared the ball over the bar. From Stephen Hunt's resultant corner, Eddie Hutchinson headed towards the Wycombe goal-line. Referee Hill awarded a goal after his assistant confirmed the ball had crossed the line despite attempts by Chris Vinnicombe to clear.

Brentford survived pressure from the home side for the remaining period of the half to go into the break ahead. Andrew Frampton replaced the injured Michael Dobson at half-time, Joel Kitamirike moving over to right-back with Frampton partnering Sonko.

In the 55th minute, Brentford mounted their first serious attack of the half. Stephen Hunt nut-megged Simpson on the left channel - Ben May stole the ball off the Irishman to fire in a snap-shot that Talia did well to hold at the near post. On the hour mark, Paul Smith came to Brentford's rescue, superbly pushing away a shot from Dannie Bulman that went through a crowded goalmouth.

The Bees did not heed the warning signs, as Wycombe piled on the pressure. The home side were finally rewarded as Jermaine McSporran broke away in the 65th minute to plant a right-footed shot past Smith to level the scores.

Wycombe had the better chances to win the game but that goal from Jay Tabb left them pointless.

    Latest Match Reports