Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 22 Nov 03 at 18:34 PM


Grimsby Town made it one defeat in seven after Brentford were defeated at a rain-sodden Griffin Park, with two goals in the last seven minutes from Michael Boulding.

It was an inspired substitution from player-boss Paul Groves, who brought on Marcel Cas and then himself - both players instrumental to The Mariners second and third goals.

The Mariners were briefly reduced to ten men in the third minute as Iain Anderson collided with Bees captain Michael Dobson, requiring treatment from the sideline.

Brentford dominated the first half, and took the lead in the ninth minute from the penalty spot. Referee Taylor adjudged Grimsby skipper John McDermott to have handled the ball in the box, Hunt sending Aidan Davison the wrong way. Three minutes later, Tony Rougier headed narrowly wide from a Hunt cross. Grimsby replied on the quarter-hour mark, Iain Anderson unleashed a fierce thirty-yard drive that goalkeeper Paul Smith did well to turn round the post.

Both sides failed to make any headway until a long-range effort from Michael Dobson and a Stephen Hunt shot that blazed over the bar. Having failed to capitalise on the pressure, Grimsby equalised with only their third attack on goal a minute from half-time. Mariners' striker Iffy Onoura met a superb cross from Iain Anderson, heading the ball in from six yards. Brentford striker Ben May was cautioned in stoppage-time for a needless push on left-back Darren Barnard.

They should have taken the lead in the 53rd minute, but Brentford goalkeeper Paul Smith produced three amazing stops to deny Iffy Onoura, Jason Crowe and lastly Michael Boulding. Onoura was booked ten minutes after the break for a clumsy challenge on Brentford centre-back Ibrahima Sonko. Eddie Hutchinson departed for The Bees with an ankle injury, and despite Brentford having chances to re-take the lead - Ben May heading over Hunt's cross - Grimsby powered ahead with two late goals.

The second came with seven minutes remaining, Cas outpaced Brentford defender Joel Kitamirike on the left to square the ball for Boulding to side-foot a low volley. With two minutes on the clock, it was three, Boulding again slipping the ball past Smith to complete an unlikely victory for the visitors.

Brentford: Smith (P), Dobson, Somner, Sonko, Kitamirike, Hutchinson, O'Connor, Hunt, May, Tabb, Rougier.

Subs: Hughes for Rougier 71st minute. Smith (J) for Hutchinson 74th minute. Harrold for Hunt 85th minute. Julian and Rhodes unused.

Grimsby Town: Davison, McDermott, Barnard, Crane, Campbell, Boulding, Hamilton, Anderson, Edwards, Crowe, Onoura.

Subs: Cas for Anderson 76th minute, Groves for McDermott 78th minute. Young, Jevons and Mansaram unused.

Att: 4685.

    Latest Match Reports