Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 16 Jan 04 at 13:34 PM


A first-half goal from Ben May gave ten-man Brentford a deserved draw at Boundary Park.

Wally Downes selected an unchanged side for the third successive time, and almost forged ahead unexpectedly in the second minute. Leo Roget flicked a long throw by Michael Dobson towards the Latcis' penalty area. John Eyre's attempted clearance was sent rocketing towards his own goal, but goalkeeper Pogliacomi tipped the ball over the bar. From the resulting corner, a scramble ensued in the six-yard box but Roget could not convert.

The home side suffered a blow, as Darren Sheridan was taken off inured. Their misery grew as The Bees took the lead in the thirteenth minute. A long corner by Dobson was met by Roget, his goalbound header was turned in by Ben May - a real poacher's finish.

Oldham fought back with three attacks shortly afterwards. Scott Vernon's lob was wide of Paul Smith's left-hand post. Substitute Danny Boshell's run and shot fizzed past the Bees custodian, plus John Sheridan's twenty-five yarder was again off target.

Matt Somner ventured upfield in the 22nd minute; his rasping shot from outside the box going narrowly over Pogliacomi's crossbar. Brentford's lead was nearly extended in the 28th minute. Dobson's free-kick gave Stephen Hunt the chance to send over a fine cross for Leo Roget; his header hitting the side-netting.

It wasn't all Brentford - a combination of Dobson and Smith both denied attempts by Adam Griffin with five minutes of the first-half remaining.

Oldham came out strong seconds after the break, Will Hanning's flying header at Paul Smith was on-target, but The Bees 'keeper parried the ball away. The pressure continued as Leo Roget cleared a dangerous Adam Griffin cross, but Oldham got their reward as they equalised in the 54th minute - Scott Vernon converting John Eyre's cross.

Eyres himself could have put Oldham ahead soon after, as they pushed forward in attack. Exposing a gap in Brentford's defence, his shot was direct, but the ball cannoned off Matt Somner and away to safety. At the opposite end, Stephen Hunt's lob momentarily caught Pogliacomi off-guard, but he recovered to save well. The game opened up, with chances created at both ends. In the 67th minute, Ben May shot wide after being fed by Hunt. May again had a opportunity two minutes later, but shot weakly.

Brentford were reduced to ten men in the 73rd minute - the eighth occasion this season a red and white shirt has seen red. Joel Kitamirike, who had been cautioned in the first-half for a foul on Jermaine Johnson, again hauled down the striker with no Bees defender behind him and was sent off.

A long drive by Dean Holden came too close for comfort in the 85th minute and Vernon fired wide when it looked easier to score in added-on time but Brentford held out to record a point.

Attendance: 4,990 (157 Bees).

    Latest Match Reports