Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 22 Feb 04 at 20:18 PM


A hat-trick from Enoch Showumni sank Brentford as they crashed to their heaviest defeat in six months.

Having forced their way back into the match with a goal from Tommy Wright, The Bees conceded two goals to put Luton in the play-offs. Wally Downes dropped Jay Tabb to the substitutes bench in preference to Tommy Wright. New signing Stewart Talbot slotted straight into the heart of midfield.

Luton, having had much the early play, took the lead in the ninth minute. StewartTalbot was forced to concede a corner. Steve Robinson floated the ball over for Emmerson Boyce, his header powering past Julian - the final touch coming from Michael Dobson.

The Bees first serious opportunity arrived in the thirteenth minute. Michael Dobson's free-kick - awarded for a foul by Michael Leary on Tommy Wright - was drilled low, Hyldgaard diving to his right to palm the ball away for a corner. Moments later Wright went close but his effort was blocked inside the box.

The home side forced a flurry of corners, Showunmi's header in the 21st minute going just wide of Julian's left-hand post. Showunmi used his strength to beat Ibrahima Sonko in the 32nd minute, but he blasted the ball straight at Julian. Kevin Nicholls and Steve Howard could have extended Luton's lead, but Julian was equal to the task. Again Luton piled on the pressure, Boyce headed weakly five minutes before the break with the goal gaping after Howard provided him with the opening.

Any hopes Brentford had of clawing their way into the game were dashed in the 48th minute; Showumni powered down the right flank to brush aside Joel Kitamirike and shootpast Julian for his and Luton's second goal. Wally Downes made a change in the 57th minute; Jay Tab and Stephen Evans replacing Ben May and Tony Rougier.

Brentford reduced the arrears when Tommy Wright broke his scoring duck with a superb individual goal the 63rd minute. Winning a tackle against Michael Leary on the half-way line, he sped past two defenders to unleash a twenty-five yard shot past Hyldgaard, who conceded his first goal in 333 minutes of football.

Any hopes brentford had of gaining an unlikely equaliser were crushed just two minutes later, as Showumni carved out a near replica of his previous goal for Luton's third, this time he given space down the left to fire home.

Luton added their fourth goal ten minutes from time, Showumni completing his hat-trick with a shot from ten yards after Stewart Talbot conceded a contentious free-kick.

Attendance: 6,273 (579 Bees).

    Latest Match Reports