Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 10 Apr 04 at 22:03 PM


Brentford's hopes of gaining a deserved win in Yorkshire were dashed by a controversial late, late goal by Dean Smith.

The Owls' skipper smashed the ball home in the sixth minute of added-on time from yards after Bees defender Ibrahima Sonko headed Leigh Bromby's long ball into his path.

It was scant reward for the visitors endeavour as they outclassed a poor Wednesday side. Referee George Cain added played a full two minutes past the allotted four minutes added-on time that gave Smith his chance. After the whistle Bees' player surrounded the official, rightly angry that his timekeeping - or lack of - had denied them two valuable points.

Bees boss Martin Allen decided to drop Alan Julian preferring Stuart Nelson, back from a four-match suspension. His side came out with all guns blazing, forcing three corners in as many minutes. They nearly took the lead in the third minute when Andrew Frampton's wind-assisted corner was headed off the line with Wednesday goalkeeper Kevin Pressman stranded.

This was a prelude for The Bees to dominate the early stages, pinning Wednesday back in their own half. Stephen Hunt and Andrew Frampton were the pick of the Brentford side at that point; both firing over testing crosses that the Owls' defence struggled to deal with.

The game drifted into a quiet spell after The Bees' early dominance but then suddenly burst back into life with twenty-seven minutes on the clock. Andrew Frampton's left-wing cross landed into the path of Ben May on the edge of the six-yard box, but he spooned the ball over the bar with just Pressman to beat. To save May's blushes, his effort was ruled out for pushing by Referee Cain.

All of Brentford's good work was nearly undone in the 53rd minute as Ibu Sonko made a hash of his back pass to Stuart Nelson, The on-rushing Nelson's clearance re-bounded off Adam Proudlock's chest and towards goal but Nelson smothered the ball before Proudlock could react.

Eddie Hutchinson's header seven minutes later should have given the home side warning bells but they did not heed them - Brentford eventually forging ahead with a rare goal by Ibrahima Sonko in the 69th minute. The Senegalese International latched onto Stewart Talbot's corner kick via Wright and Hutchinson, and Ibu stabbed the ball home to the delight of the travelling Bees support.

Stuart Nelson stretched superbly to tip over Kim Olsen's header in the 78th minute but Wednesday's hopes looked dead and buried thereafter. Dean Smith proved that lightening does indeed strike twice, giving Brentford two less points than their efforts deserved.

    Latest Match Reports