Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 28 Aug 04 at 16:55 PM


Three goals in the opening half-hour give Brentford victory over Stockport County at Griffin Park on Saturday.

Seven days ago Manager Martin Allen said that he felt The Bees performance was one of the most disappointing since he came here. From this humble scribe's opinion, today's demolition of Stockport County was amongst the very best.

The Bees were three nil up inside thirty minutes and whilst they may not have added to that scoreline, even if they had doubled it, it wouldn't have given them the rewards their endeavour deserved. While Stockport forced the games first corner after a minute, it was Brentford who showed their intentions from the very outset. Two minutes later they levelled the corner tally when Deon Burton chased the ball down. From Stewart Talbot's inswinger, Chris Hargreaves flicked the ball goalwards and Michael Dobson headed it wide of the keeper and into the net. A couple of minutes on and Burton's pressure again won a corner.

Stockport had a glorious chance to level the scores in the 9th minute, but new signing Warren Feeney saw his header thud against the upright. The Bees continued though to look the more positive of the two sides and good work by Isaiah Rankin, Burton and Jay Tabb almost set up a good chance for John Salako. But the ball ran just too far and wide of the far post.

Chris Hargreaves

However come the fifteenth minute and The Bees had doubled their lead. Dobson, Hargreaves and Tabb conspired to lay the ball back to Dobson. The Bees skipper played the ball forward for Rankin and Stockport's Hardiker to chase. But the visiting full back underestimated Rankin's ability to leave him for dead. As he did he laid the ball back into the path of Salako who picked his spot before placing the ball into the back of the net.

A further fifteen minutes on and The Bees were three up. It came form a Salako long throw from the left. Michael Turner and County's Goodwin both rose high for the ball, but it was the latter whose header flew low to Rankin. He turned and directed his shot goalwards which was only partially blocked and there was Burton to squeeze the ball over the line.

County were now being stretched in all directions and they could find no solution to the rampant Bees. Four minutes after the break and following good work between Burton and Rankin, Tabby saw his goal bound shot tipped away by the keeper.

In the 56th minute Rankin saw his lobbed shot fly narrowly over the bar while four minutes further on terrific play by Turner both defensively and going forward saw the ball eventually fall to Rankin who fired his shot over the bar.

The catalogue of chances continued to come Brentford`s way, with little in response from Stockport. You could sense the confidence flowing throughout the team through the quality of football they were displaying and the energy they continued to put in even though they enjoyed a comfortable lead. In fact when the final whistle came there was almost a sense of disappointment that it was time to go.

    Latest Match Reports