Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 09 Oct 04 at 14:23 PM


Brentford extended their unbeaten league record to six games and made it four without conceding with a hard-won point at Oakwell. But they had to deal with a nervous last few minutes. Daniel Nardiello's header was cleared off the line with just two minutes remaining. The closest either team came to winning the game.

Brentford made two enforced changes to the line up which defeated Oldham last Saturday. Jay Tabb and Deon Burton were away on international duty and were replaced by Stephen Hunt and Matt Harrold. Scholars Jamie Palmer and George Moleski joined Andy Myers, Alan Julian and Alex Rhodes on the bench.

In a poor first half Brentford held the edge but didn't trouble Ross Turnbull in the home goal. Their best chance came after 36 minutes. Salako picked up the ball in midfield after referee Webster impeded the Barnsley attack by accident. He released Rankin who dragged his shot wide from the edge of the penalty area. Blocked shots from Rankin and Salako and a weak header from Matt Harold were the only other efforts from the Bees in the first forty-five.

Barnsley came closest to breaking the deadlock in the first half after 39 minutes. Stephen McPhail's deep cross evaded Stuart Nelson in the Bees' goal but Sam Sodje was under the crossbar and headed clear.

The second half was a much better spectacle and Brentford should have taken the lead after fifty minutes. Hunt broke through the Barnsley midfield and slipped the ball to his right. Substitute Rhodes, who replaced Salako at half time, attempted to curl the ball into the far corner but placed his effort just the wrong side of the upright.

Harrold had another great chance three minutes later. Andrew Frampton's long through reached Harrold via three Barnsley defenders but he turned the ball wide from inside the 6 yard box.

Chris Shuker had Barnsley's best chance on the hour mark. He raced onto a flick from Barry Conlon, but Nelson turned away his shot at the near post. He had another effort on 82 minutes but blasted high from the right edge of the area

Rhodes had another good effort after 69 minutes. His left footed drilled cross shot saved well, high to his left, by Turnbull. Brentford looked to close the game out by bringing on Andy Myers to replace the tireless Harrold and pushing Rhodes, who had looked the Bees best bet for a goal in the second half, forward to join Rankin. The Bees could also have snatched it at the death. Stephen Hunt fired in a shot from 20 yards which Turnbull did well to turn away to his left.

Line-up: Nelson; O'Connor, Turner, Sodje, Frampton; Salako (sub Rhodes, 46 mins), Hargreaves, Talbot, Hunt; Rankin, Harrold (sub Myers 82 mins).

Subs unused: Moleski, Palmer and Julian.

Written by Chris Wickham.

    Latest Match Reports