Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 23 Oct 04 at 18:26 PM


A brace from John Murphy and another from Scott Taylor ended Brentford's seven-match unbeaten run and took their 100% home record in the process.

Brentford made the solitary change to Tuesday's victorious team. Andy Myers returned from suspension and replaced Jay Tabb, who dropped to the bench, with John Salako moving back into midfield. Sean Hillier replaced Stewart Talbot on the bench. Brentford dominated the opening exchanges, Jamie Lawrence had a shot blocked from eight yards inside the first three minutes, and Deon Burton was well tackled when he got goal side of the Blackpool defence a minute later.

But it was Blackpool who took the lead. The ball bobbled around The Bees penalty area and John Murphy reacted quickest to knock the ball over Stuart Nelson to give the visitors a lead they scarcely deserved, but one they never relinquished. The Bees continued to hold the upper hand but Blackpool grew in confidence. They sat men behind the ball and broke with pace, but appeared content to sit on their lead, to the extent where referee Fletcher booked Simon Grayson for time wasting after 30 minutes.

Chris Hargreaves

Chris Hargreaves forced Blackpool goalkeeper Lee Jones into a save on 35 minutes, a Salako free kick was blocked by the defensive wall but lobbed up and Hargreaves header was tipped over the bar. The busy Burton also had a shot blocked by the massed ranks of Blackpool defenders. Brentford came close to an equaliser just before the interval. Stephen Hunt won a free kick just outside the penalty area, Salako's delivery was headed a yard or two wide by Michael Turner. Blackpool took the upper hand after half time buoyed by their lead and deserved their second and thirds goals. A corner from the right was met powerfully by the unmarked Murphy and he gave Nelson no chance for Blackpool's second.

Martin Allen made two changes in an attempt to bring The Bees back into the game, Jay Tabb and Matt Harrold replacing Hunt and Myers. Brentford threw everything they had at The Tangerines but the defence marshalled excellently by Peter Clarke held firm, and Blackpool could even have extended their lead. Nelson had to be at his best to deny Taylor who found space 18 yards out.

Blackpool's third goal did come; Scott Taylor had yards of space inside The Bees area, latched onto Richie Wellens pass finished calmly into the top right corner.

Line-up: Nelson; O'Connor, Turner, Sodje, Myers (sub Harrold 56 mins); Salako, Lawrence, Hargreaves, Hunt (sub Tabb 56 mins); Rankin, Burton (sub Rhodes 88 mins).

Subs not used: Hillier, Julian.

Match report by Chris Wickham.

    Latest Match Reports