Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 30 Oct 04 at 17:23 PM


Brentford suffered their second consecutive defeat as Tranmere won 1-0 at Prenton Park. Ian Sharps' goal separated the sides, as Tranmere's danger man Ian Hume found space in the area and his cross was headed in by Sharps. This came just minutes after Brentford's best chance; Isaiah Rankin's excellent work on the right went astray as John Salako miscued in front of goal.

Brentford made three changes from the team defeated by Blackpool last week. Stewart Talbot and Andrew Frampton were fit to return to the team replacing Chris Hargreaves, who was suspended and Andy Myers who dropped to the bench. Matt Harrold also came into the team, replacing Stephen Hunt who was injured, playing in left midfield.

Tranmere had two great chances to take the lead inside the opening twenty minutes. Firstly, Hume found space inside the penalty area and rose to head a Ryan Taylor cross a couple of yards wide. Then minutes later Chris Dagnall raced onto a through ball but dragged his shot wide of Stuart Nelson's left hand post, it was Tranmere's best chance of the first half.

Brentford thought they'd taken the lead on 32 minutes. Deon Burton swung in a cross from the left, Rankin was beaten in the air by Ian Goodison but as the ball dropped Jamie Lawrence beat John Achterberg to it and the ball trickled in. However the celebrations were cut short when referee Laws pulled play back for an infringement.

Tranmere went straight down the other end and almost took the lead themselves. Jason McAteer swung in a cross from the right but Paul Hall's header was weak. Hall could have given Rovers the lead just before the break when Hume's lay off to Hall was smacked over the bar from only ten yards.

Sam Sodje

Tranmere came out and really threw everything at Brentford. Two minutes after the goal from Sharps Tranmere could have gone two up. Hume drilled in a shot after being released by substitute Calvin Zola. Zola himself could have got a goal on 65 minutes, arriving late at the far post he only just failed to make contact with McAteer's cross.

Brentford had great claims for a penalty on 59 minutes. Rankin got himself goal side of the Tranmere backline, but was manhandled before he had a chance to shoot. However the referee deemed the challenge on Rankin to be fair.

It was Tranmere who pushed forward as the minutes ticked on and could have extended their lead. Hume lobbed over the bar from Zola's flick, and returned the favour releasing Zola later in the half. This time the shot went high and wide at the near post.

Brentford: Nelson; O'Connor, Sodje, Turner, Frampton; Salako, Talbot, Lawrence (sub Rhodes 76 mins), Harrold (sub Tabb 56 mins); Rankin, Burton.

Subs not used: Myers, Muldowney (L), Julian.

Match report by Chris Wickham.

    Latest Match Reports