Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 29 Jun 10 at 20:42 PM


Two magical minutes gave Brentford three points at Hillsborough as Alex Rhodes and Deon Burton turned a 1-0 deficit into a 2-1 victory. The Bees were trailing to a Steven MacLean penalty and had ten men but kept fighting heroically to claim the points.

Their first goal came in the 81st minute. A John Salako corner was headed down by Burton and Rhodes popped up in the melee to lash home. Less than 60 seconds later it got even better as Rhodes raced down the left, skipped inside a defender and slipped the ball to Burton. His first shot was saved but he turned in the rebound to give Brentford a memorable win.

Brentford stuck with the same squad that performed so well against Luton four days previously, which meant that Eddie Hutchinson did not take a place among the substitutes despite his return to fitness. The Bees did make one tactical alteration with Jay Tabb operating on the left side of midfield, switching with Salako.

The game took a while to settle down and in the first twenty minutes neither side was able to play the sort of football they would like. However after that initial period both teams settled down and looked to go forward whenever possible. Unfortunately, Brentford had to do this with 10 men.

The action came in the 20th minute. A long ball out of Wednesday's defence allowed MacLean to nip in behind Michael Turner, his pace taking him clear. MacLean went down in the area, and referee Cowburn adjudged that Turner was responsible. He dismissed the Bees centre half and awarded a penalty that MacLean dispatched.

Brentford were forced into a tactical reshuffle and Rhodes came on to replace Ben May, Andy Frampton moved into central defence and Salako to left back. Brentford were not going to allow their man disadvantage to tell and came within inches of equalising in the 28th minute.

A Salako corner was knocked back into the danger area by Burton, Frampton swivelled and smashed a shot which hit the crossbar and cannoned out with David Lucas in the home goal well beaten. Sam Sodje also came close towards the end of the half after a surge forward but he was unable to get on the end of a Burton cross.

Sheffield Wednesday pushed forward as the half wore on attempting to get a second goal which could have killed the game off. But Brentford were resolute in defence, and a series of good interceptions, poor through balls and offside decisions meant the Owls didn't test Stuart Nelson as much as they would have liked.

Lee Peacock had an effort cleared off the line by Frampton in the 25th minute after he evaded Nelson, he curled an effort over in the 43rd minute and in stoppage time Joey O'Brien forced Nelson into a good save after his run split the Bees defence.

Brentford made two further changes in an attempt to get back into the game. Andy Myers replacing Frampton at half time and Isaiah Rankin replacing Chris Hargreaves on the hour mark but Wednesday continued to make their man advantage tell.

Chris Brunt curled a free kick just wide of Nelson's left hand post and Hargreaves had to make a tackle on the edge of the penalty area to prevent Glenn Whelan getting a shot in. A series of corners in the 65th minute also troubled the Bees, with Myers and Rankin forced to clear under pressure.

Nelson produced a fantastic save to keep Brentford in it when Jon Paul McGovern turned Myers and shot from 8 yards but the Bees keeper was equal to it. McGovern also drilled a shot wide but Brentford stayed in touch and then brilliantly took the points.

Line-up: Nelson; O'Connor, Turner, Sodje, Frampton (sub Myers 46 mins); Tabb, Talbot, Hargreaves (sub Rankin 60 mins), Salako; Burton, May (sub Rhodes 21 mins).

Subs (not used): Harrold, Julian.

Attendance 21,592

Written by Chris Wickham.

Deon Burton

    Latest Match Reports