Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 29 Jun 10 at 20:41 PM


A Stephen Hunt goal three minutes into stoppage time salvaged a point for Brentford as they came back from 3-1 down to draw 3-3 with Sheffield Wednesday. Two Lee Peacock goals and one from Lee Bullen appeared to have given the visitors the win, despite a fantastic strike from Deon Burton, but Ryan Peters pulled a goal back and Hunt sent Griffin Park into raptures with his last gasp strike. Brentford made five changes from the team that started at Hartlepool last Tuesday. Ademole Bankola replaced Stuart Nelson in goal, Kevin O'Connor returned at right back in place of Michael Dobson, Stewart Talbot and Jay Tabb came into midfield instead of Darren Pratley and Matt Harrold while Burton replaced Ben May in attack. Brentford had the ball in the net within 30 seconds when Isaiah Rankin headed over David Lucas after an exquisite flick from Burton but the play was pulled back for offside. The visitors went down the other end and took the lead themselves after four minutes, Lucas's long clearance was knocked down by Steven MacLean and Peacock unleashed a dipping volley from 25 yards that gave Bankola no chance. Peacock forced Bankola into a low save from Joey O'Brien's whipped cross minutes later and Jon-Paul McGovern rifled a volley over the bar after a deep cross from Paul Heckingbottom. Brentford began to assert themselves in midfield with Talbot probing and creating, he set up Tabb to shoot over and from his corner Burton had a header cleared. He then fizzed a shot wide from 30 yards before Burton forced Lucas into a low save. Tabb had a header tipped over and Rankin had a shot saved as the home side went searching for the equaliser. But they suffered a sucker punch four minutes before the interval when a McGovern cross was met on the volley by Peacock. Bankole got a hand to it but could not prevent it trickling over the line. Burton brought Brentford back into the game two minutes later with a piece of extraordinary skill. He controlled a long ball on his chest, swivelled and fired a vicious volley past Lucas at his near post from nearly 30 yards. If the home side thought they could build on that after the interval they were quickly set straight as Wednesday went 3-1 ahead just three minutes into the second period. McGovern's near post corner was flicked on by Peacock and Bullen was unmarked three yards out to head the visitors into what appeared to be an unassailable lead. The visitors slowed the game down after that goal, defending in numbers and attacking on the break. O'Brien fired a shot wide after Bankole's kick landed at his feet and Peacock's cross cum shot was held low by the Bees Nigerian stopper. The home side continued to press looking for a way back into the game, driven forward by the heart and desire of Eddie Hutchinson and the intricate footwork of Tabb. Hunt and Michael Turner both headed off target following set-pieces and it appeared Brentford were running out of time. They gave themselves a lifeline with Ryan Peters first goal in professional football in the 82nd minute. Tabb swung in a corner to the near post and Peters knocked the ball home on the volley. It didn't seem it would be enough especially when a shot from Darren Pratley, who re-invigorated the home side when he came on, was blocked. But the ball re-bounded to O'Connor, his cross was sliced by a defender to the feet of Hunt who curled it into the far corner before being submerged in a pile of bodies. There was scarcely time for the game to re-start and Brentford took a point that felt more like three. Brentford: Bankola; O'Connor, Turner, Sodje (sub Dobson h/t), Salako; Tabb, Talbot (sub Pratley 69 mins), Hunt; Rankin (sub Peters 53 mins), Burton Subs (not used): Harrold, Nelson Attendance: 8,323 Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports