Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 19 Mar 05 at 17:57 PM


Brentford came back from two goals down to earn themselves a point against Chesterfield at Griffin Park. Goals from Mark De Bolla and Wayne Allison had given Chesterfield a two goal cushion they did not deserve but goals from Jay Tabb and Deon Burton extended the Bees unbeaten run to five league games.

Martin Allen made two changes to the team which won at Oldham four days ago. Chris Hargreaves and Isaiah Rankin returning to the team, replacing Stewart Talbot and Darren Pratley, this meant a change in system with Scott Fitzgerald partnering Burton in attack. Brentford had the better of the first half and could have had a couple of goals. In the fourth minute a Tabb corner was headed back by Eddie Hutchinson, Burton knocked the ball across goal with an acrobatic effort and Michael Turner got in a header that was clawed away by Chesterfield goalkeeper Marton Fulop.

Fitzgerald almost added to his two goals at Oldham in the 22nd minute, Burton flicked on a long Stuart Nelson kick and Fitzgerald cracked in a shoot that Fulop held at his near post. Frampton had a shot from the edge of the box blocked and Hutchinson had one cleared off the line as Brentford dominated.

Chesterfield's main threat came from centre half Ian Evatt when he went forward for set pieces. He had one header cleared from deep inside the area by Turner and forced Nelson into a save from another Shane Nicholson free kick. De Bolla shot weekly at Nelson after Gareth Davies through ball but made no mistake in the 38th minute. Carlos Logan broke down the left after a Brentford corner was cleared, his ball was perfect for De Bolla, who took one touch before drilling the ball past Nelson to give Chesterfield the lead. Then Logan shot wide after Nicholson had broken through a couple of tackles three minutes later.

Brentford could have got level before the interval when Rankin looped a shot in from the edge of the area but Fulop gathered easily. Immediately after the break Burton beat Evatt on the by line and fired a shot over the bar from a difficult angle and Sodje had a header blocked by Allison.
Chesterfield hit the home side with a sucker punch in the 64th minute with their first attacking move of the second half. Mark Allott broke down the right and swung in a fantastic cross, Allison climbed highest at the far post and placed a header expertly back across Nelson into the far corner.
Brentford needed a quick riposte and Burton provided it two minutes later. Kevin O'Connor's long throw was flicked on by Hutchinson and Burton volleyed home from ten yards out.

They were level in the 77th minute. Substitute John Salako fired a free kick into the defensive wall and it re-bounded straight to Tabb twenty yards out. His shot went through a mass of bodies and sneaked past Fulop into the bottom corner.

Brentford deserved to be at least level and pushed forward looking for a winning goal. Burton had a great chance to win the game in the last minute, his flick released Tabb who cross the ball back into his path, he got away a left footed shot which Fulop got down well to save. There was an even better chance in stoppage time, Tabb's deep cross was headed back into the danger area by Sam Sodje and Hargreaves headed just past the far post with Fulop well beaten.

Line-up: Nelson; O'Connor, Turner, Sodje, Frampton (sub Salako 64 mins); Rankin, Hargreaves, Hutchinson, Tabb; Fitzgerald (sub Hunt 49 mins), Burton
Subs (not used): Dobson, Pratley, Bankole

Attendance: 6,029

Written by Chris Wickham.

    Latest Match Reports