Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 02 Apr 05 at 17:23 PM


A Sam Sodje goal with four minutes to go gave Brentford a 2-1 victory at Edgeley Park against Stockport County. Scott P. Fitzgerald had earlier given them the lead but an Adam Le Fondre penalty evened things up before Sodje's last gasp intervention.

Brentford made two changes to the team that drew with Peterborough United on Easter Monday. Andrew Frampton returned after a bout of 'flu and Jay Tabb also returned to the starting line-up. Isaiah Rankin and Eddie Hutchinson were the two players omitted with Michael Dobson moving into a midfield role.

Unfortunately for Dobson he did not last past the seventeen minute mark, having to go off with an arm injury to be replaced by Rankin. Brentford had already had two chances by then, Tabb had a shot deflected straight at James Spencer in the County goal and Stephen Hunt curled a right footed shot straight at the young stopper.

Brentford dominated the first half, having most of the possession and spending long periods camped in the home penalty area, however they did not create much until the last ten minutes of the half when they had four good chances. Firstly a great cross from Hunt found Rankin five yards out, he looked set to score but his goal bound header was deflected over the bar by Michael Raynes. Darren Pratley then worked some space on the right edge of the penalty for Fitzgerald; his fizzing shot went just over at the near post.

Pratley was Brentford's main creative force and when he combined with Tabb the Bees looked particularly dangerous. The two combined just before the break to set up Fitzgerald but Raynes was there to nip the ball off his toes. Fitzgerald then headed over after some excellent work and a great cross by Tabb.

Stockport rarely threatened, wasting good positions on both flanks with poor crosses, but when the final ball was right it did cause Brentford problems. Raynes flicked a header wide from a Damien Allen cross and when Danny Jackman broke down the left and delievered a great ball it was just out of the reach of Le Fondre.

The visitors started the second half in the ascendancy and had a fantastic penalty appeal turned down early in the second period. Michael Turner received the ball from a corner and laid it into the path of Pratley who's powerful shot was blocked buy the arm of Jackman, but referee Parkes waved play on.

Fitzgerald headed wide from an O'Connor cross and Hunt volleyed over before Brentford took the lead in the 57th minute. O'Connor split the Stockport defence with an inch perfect pass which Rankin raced on to, his cross was palmed away by Spencer but only into the path of Fitzgerald who gleefully rolled the ball into an empty net.

Brentford continued to dominate after taking the lead, Raynes just beat Fitzgerald to the ball after good work by Tabb, Turner had a shot blocked, Fitzgerald volleyed over and a cross from Fitzgerald just eluded Hunt. Just when it seemed the Bees would play out a comfortable victory Stockport were awarded a 79trh minute penalty, Sodje challenged Le Fondre, knocking him to the ground and the referee's assistant instructed Mr Parkes to award the spot kick. Le Fondre sent Nelson the wrong way and Stockport were level.

But Brentford were not to be denied and with four minutes to go they got the winner. Tabb's near post corner was flicked on by Turner to Fitzgerald, who rose highest and headed against the far post, when the ball dropped Sodje reacted quickest to lash home.

Line-up: Nelson; O'Connor, Turner, Sodje, Frampton; Pratley, Talbot, Dobson (sub Rankin 17 mins); Tabb, Hunt (sub Peters 82 mins); Scott P. Fitzgerald (sub Myers 87 mins).

Subs (not used): Scott B. Fitzgerald, Bankole

Attendance: 4,408

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports