Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 22 Mar 05 at 22:05 PM


Brentford's five game unbeaten run came to an end with a 2-1 defeat at Bloomfield Road against Blackpool.

Brentford made two changes from the team which drew with Chesterfield on Saturday with Stewart Talbot and Darren Pratley returning to the starting line-up. Eddie Hutchinson and Scott Fitzgerald dropped to the bench while John Salako was left out of the match squad.

Blackpool started the game much quicker than the Brentford, John Murphy headed a Keigan Parker corner over the bar in the fifth minute and the Tangerines took the lead in the seventh minute. Keith Southern picked the ball up in midfield, played a one-two with Jamie Burns on the left touchline and shot past Stuart Nelson from 25 yards.

It got worse for Brentford eight minutes later when Southern grabbed his second of the night. Parker swung in a free kick and Southern stole in to head home from five yards out. Murphy fired a shot over the bar after a good run from Burns, Kevin O'Connor cleared off the line from Southern and Nelson saved from Peter Clarke as Blackpool looked to put the visitors completely out of the game.

As the half wore on Brentford began to get a foothold in the game, no doubt helped by Martin Allen calling every outfield player over for a discussion during one break in play. Isaiah Rankin lobbed over the bar after Chris Hargreaves had played him through, Michael Turner had a header blocked and Sam Sodje shot wide. Brentford thought they had earned a penalty in stoppage time at the end of the half, Jay Tabb skipped past Clarke inside the area and went to ground, the Brentford players appealed but referee Bates waved play on.

Brentford's second half display was a big improvement on their first half showing. Andrew Frampton came within a whisker of giving Brentford a lifeline when his twenty five yard shot cannoned off the post. Burton headed just wide and Lee Jones saved well from two Stewart Talbot shots as Brentford pushed forward. Substitute Fitzgerald almost created an opening for Tabb but the ball ran away from him and he shot straight at Jones.

Brentford did get themselves a goal with five minutes to go when Pratley fired one in from 25 yards but the visitors were unable to create a chance to grab a point and were reduced to ten men in the final minute when Burton was dismissed for two bookable offences.

Brentford: Nelson; O'Connor, Turner (sub Dobson h/t), Sodje, Frampton; Pratley, Talbot (sub Fitzgerald 66 mins), Hargreaves (sub Hutchinson h/t); Rankin, Tabb; Burton

Subs (not used): Hunt, Bankole

Attendance: 5,478 (154 Bees)

Written by Chris Wickham.

    Latest Match Reports