Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 14 Nov 05 at 10:28 AM


Brentford came away from Victoria Park with all three points, a header from Dudley Campbell and Lloyd Owusu's second goal of the season giving them a deserved victory.

Injuries forced the Bees to make two changes from the side that won at Rochdale, DJ Campbell replaced Isaiah Rankin, while Captain Ricky Newman made his first League start of the season in place of Junior Lewis.

Six minutes into the game, Paul Brooker's free-kick connected with a Michael Turner header which was cleared away at the last. The hosts replied with a shot by Michael Nelson which was well wide of the target. The Bees clearance broke to Jay Tabb who played on to DJ Campbell. His run saw him beat two players before his shot flew inches wide of the left-hand post.

On the quarter-hour mark a long clearance by Sam Sodje led to a good determined run by Owusu which led to the Bees' second corner. From the corner, Tabb's inswinger found Owusu, but his header was saved.

Within the minute Hartlepool forced their first two corners of the game. However Stuart Nelson did well under pressure to punch clear on the second occasion.

Stuart Nelson's clearances were proving to be dangerous and allied to an Owusu run, forced the first of two corners for the Bees. A minute later came the opening goal. A Paul Brooker corner was flicked on by a Hartlepool defender, and the ball found it's way to Darren Pratley on the edge of the area. He turned sharply and crossed with a great angled ball towards the six yard box which Campbell met with his head, steering the ball into the corner of the net off the keeper's hand.

This led to a fairly ineffective period of the game until the 34th minute when the Bees caused real pressure within the Hartlepool penalty area which was only ended by the Hartlepool keeper's fine one-handed save from another Campbell header.

Five minutes later Hartlepool had their best chance of the half when John Daly looked set to score just yards from goal. But last ditch defending by Sodje and Kevin O'Connor, and a calamitous effort by Daly saw the Brentford goal unbreached.

A minute later Sodje again was brilliantly placed to deprive Williams a clear run at goal, in what was effectively the last action of the first half.

The second half opened with Ricky Newman's airborne header clearing a Hartlepool attack. Six minutes on, the impressive Paul Brooker picked out Owusu in front of goal who saw his effort tipped away, which led to the ball pinballing around in the area, following further efforts by Owusu and Campbell.

Hartlepool themselves were playing some good football at this juncture but to little effect. In the 64th minute Campbell's terrific run into the area deserved better than just the corner it gained. Three minutes later, Owusu laid the ball up for Tabb, unmarked on the edge of the area, but unfortunately he totally mis-kicked his effort.

In the 72nd minute, Hartlepool equalised. The Bees failed to clear their lines following a corner on the left, and as a shot came in from the edge of the box, Sweeney diverted it into the top left hand corner of the net with his head. However, it only took the Bees four more minutes to regain their lead.

Campbell won the ball in his own half, advanced forward and played a superb ball through for Owusu to run onto and tuck away his second goal of the season in style, to the delight of the rapturous 156 Bees fans.

Brentford made two late substitutions, Hutchinson replacing Campbell, and Dobson replacing Brooker which sandwiched a shot from Maidens which flew across the face of the goal.

Come the final whistle being blown by Uriah Rennie, the Bees had registered another important away victory.

Brentford: Nelson; O'Connor, Sodje, Turner, Frampton; Brooker (Dobson), Pratley, Newman, Tabb; Owusu, Campbell (Hutchinson)

Subs (not used): Bankole, Tillen, Fitzgerald

    Latest Match Reports