Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 10 Oct 05 at 10:03 AM


Brentford came away from Boundary Park with all three points, despite playing much of the second-half with ten men, following the dismissal of Dudley Campbell on an eventful afternoon.

Brentford made one change to the starting line-up from the Rotherham match, Alex Rhodes coming in for Jay Tabb (away with the Republic of Ireland U21's) for his first start of the season.

The Bees, playing in white shirts and red shorts, had the first chance of the game in the 2nd minute. Paul Brooker was fouled on the edge of the box, Kevin O'Connor firing the resulting free-kick over the bar. In the 6th minute Stuart Nelson had to be alert in the Brentford goal, punching clear a dangerous inswinging corner from David Eyres from just under the bar. Chris Killen found himself in space for the Latics in the 12th minute, but chose to shoot early, and his shot drifted safely into the stand housing the travelling Bees fans behind the goal. Just a minute later, Bees captain Michael Turner did well to deny Richard Wellens a shooting opportunity with a well-timed tackle, just inside the penalty area.

In the 20th minute a slide-rule pass from Rankin only just failed to find Brooker, who would have been clean through but for a great last-ditch interception by Eyres. Five minutes later and it was Brooker's turn to feed Rankin - his floated through ball just too long, and Chris Day in the Oldham goal doing well not to handle outside the box as he raced out of his goal to collect.

In the 28th minute, Latics captain Andy Liddell fired a cross along the edge of the six yard box which eluded everyone, and from the resulting play, Eyres headed safely wide of the goal. Junior Lewis found himself in space on the left in the 30th minute, and his mis-hit cross nearly deceived Day in the Oldham goal, the ball eventually landing on the roof of the Oldham net.

An injury to Paul Brooker forced Brentford into a change in the 31st minute, Dudley Campell replacing him and moving up front to partner Lloyd Owusu, with Isaiah Rankin switching to right midfield.

In the 38th minute, Oldham had their best chance of the half. Mark Hughes beat Nelson to a Luke Beckett cross, only to see his header cannon back off the underside of the bar, Nelson doing well to catch the ball as it bounced back up in to the danger zone. Oldham pressed forward, Sam Sodje and Rankin both providing excellent blocks to deny the Latics attack.

Rankin was booked for a foul in the 41st minute, but just a few moments later sparked the main talking point of the first half. His lofted pass was headed weakly by Danny Hall and latched onto by Owusu, who clipped the ball past Branston, only to be bundled over in the box by the same player. Referee Mr Bates had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. After a long delay, O'Connor stepped up, only to see his well-struck spot-kick brilliantly saved by Chris Day, low to his left.

The last real action of the half saw an O'Connor free-kick charged down, and Hughes fire over the bar, with Darren Pratley booked in between, for persistent offending.

The second half started quietly, before Nelson saved well at his near post from a powerful Beckett header. Chris Killen then shot straight at the Brentford keeper from 20 yards, Owusu nearly latching onto the resulting drop-kick.

In the 57th minute, referee Mr Bates showed Dudley Campbell a straight red card after Campbell, who had jumped with Guy Branston, was deemed to have used an elbow.

On the hour mark, Mark Hughes hit a fierce low free-kick from all of 30 yards, which Nelson did well to gather at the second attempt. In the 65th minute The Bees made their second change of the afternoon, Scott Fitzgerald replacing the hard-working Rankin. Just two minutes later, the substitution was to prove inspired. A neat Owusu cross was latched onto by Fitzgerald, who turned sharply, and fired the ball past Day into the bottom left hand corner of the net, for his first goal of the season.

Lloyd Owusu came close to making it two in the 73rd minute, beating Terrell Forbes to Alex Rhodes powerful near-post cross, but shooting marginally wide from a tough angle. Oldham then made a double substitution, Chris Porter and Paul Warne replacing Rob Scott and Chris Killen respectively.

Oldham started to push forward, looking for the equaliser, but Sodje and Turner were equal to every cross and long ball that the Latics had to throw at them. Oldham claimed for a penalty of their own in the 83rd minute, but Michael Turner's challenge on Chris Porter was correctly deemed fair by Mr Bates.

In the 86th minute substitute Paul Warne fired over on the volley after Nelson had punched Hughes' cross clear. The Bees then made their final substitution of the match, Sam Tillen replacing Alex Rhodes. They also played out the remainder of the match in a 4-4-1 formation, Owusu as the lone striker.

Three minutes of injury time were added, and in the first minute of it, Nelson made a superb save from Liddell, although the referee had already awarded a free-kick to Brentford. Hughes then shot straight at Nelson when well placed, following a slip by O'Connor.

That proved to be the last action of the match, and The Bees came away with a valuable and well-earned three points.

Brentford: Nelson; O'Connor, Turner (c), Sodje, Frampton; Brooker (Campbell 31), Lewis, Pratley, Rhodes (Tillen 87); Rankin (Fitzgerald 65), Owusu

Subs (not used): Gayle, Bankole

Attendance: 5089 (253 Bees Fans)

Written by Matt Davis

    Latest Match Reports