Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 22 Aug 06 at 13:11 PM


After earning a point at Brighton and Hove Albion last week with a last minute goal Brentford were on the receiving end this week as a goal two minutes into stoppage time from Luke Beckett meant Huddersfield Town left with a share of the spoils in a 2-2 draw at Griffin Park.

After a forgettable first half where chances were scarce and flowing football limited the game sprung to life after the break and a Jo Kuffour double seemed set to give Brentford a third win in four games.

But when Andy Booth got his head to a long ball forward, Beckett reacted quickest and steered a shot past Stuart Nelson and into the far corner to equalise for the second time.

The Terriers' may consider themselves fortunate to leave with a point after the home side dominated after the break.

But that was in contrast to a lacklustre first half where the sides cancelled each other out.

Thomas Pinault volleyed over for The Bees and Adam Griffiths flicked a header wide from a delicious Paul Brooker cross while at the other end Beckett nodded wide and Griffiths, who excelled in the centre of defence, produced a great last ditch interception to prevent Jonathan Worthington lashing home.

Neither goalkeeper was overly troubled before half time but after the interval the chances came thick and fast, with Brentford producing most of them.

Chris Moore had a cross-cum-shot palmed away by Matthew Glennon and The Terriers' custodian saved well on his line from an Oli Skulason header.

Brentford's Icelandic midfielder should have given Glennon no chance when he met a Kuffour cross with another header but glanced it wide and soon after he left the fray with an apparent hamstring injury.

The Bees edged ahead soon after when Brooker's free-kick was flicked home by Kuffour but that lead lasted only two minutes when Beckett out jumped Karleigh Osborne, who replaced Skulason, and when an attempted clearance ricocheted kindly to Danny Schofield he lashed home.

The Terriers' were creating openings of their own with Beckett wasting the best of them blasting wide from 14 yards.

Booth, who was a half-time replacement for Gary Taylor-Fletcher, was denied a goal by Kevin O'Connor who cleared his flicked header off the line and Brooker had a shot deflected over at the other end.

When it seemed the game would finish one apiece substitute Alex Rhodes swung a cross in, Kuffour challenged Glennon and as the ball dropped fired it into the unguarded net.

But if The Bees thought that would earn them three points they reckoned without Beckett, who had been generally quiet until the 92nd minute but took his chance clinically when it came.

Brentford: Nelson; O'Connor, Heywood, Griffiths, Tillen; Brooker (sub Mousinho 90 mins), Skulason (sub Osborne 65 mins), Pinault, Kuffour; Moore, Willock (sub Rhodes 71 mins)

Subs (not used): Masters, Ide

Bookings: Skulason (33 mins) (second of season), O'Connor (82 mins)

Huddersfield Town: Glennon; Holdsworth, Mirfin, N. Clarke, Adams; Taylor-Fletcher (sub Booth h/t), Worthington, Hudson, Schofield; Abbott (sub Young 75 mins), Beckett

Subs (not used): Rachubka, T. Clarke, McCombe

Bookings: Holdsworth (16 mins), Abbott (69 mins)

Attendance: 5,709

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports