Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 21 Oct 06 at 19:23 PM


With a performance built on grit and determination Brentford took a point in a 2-2 draw with Gillingham despite playing with ten men and midfield player John Mousinho in goal for almost 70 minutes.

Clark Masters was dismissed 22 minutes in when Gillingham were awarded a penalty and with no substitute goalkeeper available Mousinho was forced to don the gloves.

His first touch was to pick the ball out of the net but fellow substitute Calum Willock inspired a Brentford revival and they went in 2-1 up at half time but with Gillingham seemingly running out of ideas Michael Flynn fired an equaliser.

Brentford took a while to get going and Flynn and Danny Jackman had early efforts blocked but Karle Carder-Andrews, making his full league debut, could have given Brentford the lead when he swapped passes with Clyde Wijnhard and drilled in a shot, but Scott Flinders saved low to his right.

The game sprung to life in the 22nd minute when Gary Mulligan picked up a pass and bundled his way past Karleigh Osborne, he went round Masters and, suspiciously late, fell to the ground, winning a penalty.

Gills' defender Duncan Jupp led a posse of players to hound referee Moss and demand Masters was dismissed, despite Kevin O'Connor's presence on the goal line and after consultation with his assistant Mr Moss produced a red card.

Mousinho came on to replace Carder-Andrews and took a place between the posts but Flynn gave him no chance from the spot.

But Brentford fought back and two minutes after his introduction, replacing Wijnhard, Willock had fashioned an equaliser.

Andrew Frampton's deep free kick wasn't cleared and Willock dug out a cross to the far post where Matt Heywood stretched and nodded a header past Flinders to score his first Bees goal.

Flynn thought he had restored the visitors' lead when he turned home a Guylain Ndumbu-Nsungu cross but he was in an offside position and with the half time whistle seconds away Brentford took the lead.

Oli Skulason won the ball in midfield and clipped a delightful through ball for Willock to run onto, he slipped it past Flinders and it rolled home off a post.

With a midfield player in goal it was hardly surprising that Brentford were pushed back a little after the break but with Heywood and Osborne outstanding they restricted Gillingham to half chances.

Dean McDonald fired wide, Ndumbu-Nsungu blazed over and Mousinho saved well from a Clint Easton effort.

Willock thought he had sealed the points with quarter of an hour remaining when Heywood nodded down into his path, he took the ball round Flinders and shot but Leon Johnson appeared to clear off the line.

From the resulting corner Willock miscued a header and moments later Gillingham were level when Flynn found space 18 yards out and arrowed a shot into the corner.

O'Connor had a header saved by Flinders and Mousinho smothered well at the feet of Ndumbu-Nsungu before producing a fine save with his feet to deny the same player late on.

Adam Griffiths fired an effort over the bar and Brentford had to settle for a point, the very least they deserved.

Brentford: Masters; O'Connor, Heywood, Osborne, Frampton; Tomlin (sub Pinault 70 mins), Skulason, Griffiths, Carder-Andrews (sub Mousinho 25 mins); Wijnhard (sub Willock 34 mins), Kuffour

Subs (not used): Peters, Brooker

Booked: Wijnhard (25 mins)

Sent Off: Masters (24 mins)

Gillingham: Flinders; Jupp, Cox, Johnson, Easton; Spiller (sub McDonald 60 mins), Crofts, Flynn, Jackman; Mulligan, Ndumbu-Nsungu

Subs (not used): Howell, Savage, Stone, Clohessy

Booked: Jupp (25 mins), Jackman (43 mins)

Attendance: 5,759

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports