Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 28 Oct 06 at 17:41 PM


Brentford suffered another defeat on their travels as an early goal in each half and another late on gave Oldham Athletic a 3-0 win.

The Bees could not have made a worse start, Calum Willock had to be replaced after ten minutes because of a face injury and fifteen minutes in Brentford were behind.

Simon Charlton picked up the ball on the left side and looped a cross into the box, Paul Warne nipped in ahead of Clark Masters to loop a header over him and into the net.

Despite the early goal young goalkeeper Masters kept Brentford in the game in the first half, producing a number of top drawer saves.

Chris Porter was particularly unfortunate to find the Bees' stopper in such sensational form as he denied him from point blank range on two occasions.

Firstly when a drilled Andy Liddell shot was blocked by Masters the Bees' keeper reacted brilliantly to prevent Porter turning home the re-bound.

And Masters produced another fantastic save to deny Porter when the Athletic man met a Chris Taylor cross six yards out.

Matt Heywood blocked another effort from Porter on the goal-line and Taylor fired over from the edge of the box.

Porter missed a glorious chance to put Oldham two up before half time when he headed a Gary McDonald cross wide from six yards out but moments after the break McDonald himself made no mistake.

Simon Charlton exchanged passes with Taylor and pulled it back to McDonald who finished superbly from 15 yards.

And though Brentford tired hard to find a way back into the game they couldn't do so, Oli Skulason lifted an effort wide from a Jo Kuffour lay-off but the majority of the chances came at the other end.

Thomas Pinault cleared a Porter header off the line and the Oldham striker skewed an effort wide from close range from a Kelvin Lomax cross.

Stefan Stam miss-kicked in front of goal and during a scramble Porter looped an effort off the crossbar, Warne could have scored his second but blasted wide when clean through and substitute Chris Hall nodded wide from close range.

Gavin Tomlin came close to getting his first Brentford goal when he fired a Kuffour pull back against the bar and Skulason forced Les Pogliacomi into his first save of the afternoon in the last minute.

And in stoppage time Richie Wellens added a third, Masters saved superbly when he danced through but Heywood's clearance cannoned off the midfield man and bounced past Masters and in.

Oldham Athletic: Pogliacomi; McDonald, Haining, Stam, Charlton; Liddell, Rocastle (sub Lomax h/t), Wellens, Taylor (sub Tierney 70 mins); Porter (sub Hall 83 mins), Warne

Subs (not used): Legzdins, Wood

Bookings: Stam (78 mins)

Brentford: Masters; O'Connor, Heywood, Osborne, Frampton; Tomlin, Skulason, Griffiths (sub Tillen h/t), Carder-Andrews, Kuffour; Willock (sub Wijnhard 10 mins (sub Pinault h/t))

Subs (not used): Brown, Mousinho

Bookings: Carder-Andrews (54 mins), Heywood (70 mins) (second of the season), Osborne (90 mins) (fourth of season)

Attendance: 4,708 (159 Bees fans)

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports