Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 13 Dec 06 at 10:17 AM


Charlie Ide's first goal in professional football helped Brentford end their losing streak but they were unable to get that winning feeling, drawing 1-1 with Tranmere Rovers.

In a combative and competitive game Brentford showed what they were made of and took the lead late in the first half but Rovers hit back, leaving The Bees to settle for a point.

Brentford had the better of the opening stages and Jo Kuffour could have given them an early lead but his shot fizzed just the wrong side of the post.

Chris Moore almost latched on to a poor back pass from Chris McCready but Tranmere goalkeeper Gavin Ward was able to prevent him getting a clean strike in.

Shane Sherriff could have score for the visitors but volleyed over and Clark Masters was not called into serious action until the half hour mark when a Kevin Ellison free kick from the right eluded everyone in the middle and forced the Brentford keeper to turn it away at full stretch.

Sherriff flicked a corner wide and Paul McLaren had a shot blocked but when Brentford took the lead they probably deserved it.

Simon Cox, who had been busy throughout, picked the ball up on the left, he slipped it through to Kuffour, his deep cross was met by Ide who looped a header over Ward and in.

But neither Brentford's goal scorer nor their lead made it to the break.

Chris Shuker curled a free kick brilliantly past Masters from 35 yards to bring Tranmere level on the stroke of half time but there was still time for Ide to be carried off with a head injury to be replaced by Paul Brooker.

The second half lacked the goalmouth action of the first with both teams hustling, harrying and fighting for every ball without creating too many chances.

Kuffour volleyed a Brooker cross over the top and then fired straight at Ward while Cox and Matt Heywood also tested the visiting stopper.

Tranmere were struggling to find a way past Adam Griffiths and Heywood to get a sight of goal, Calvin Zola's effort which was always curling wide was as close as they came.

Late efforts from Brooker and Mousinho as well as Gareth Taylor at the other end could have led to a winning goal but neither team could break through and the spoils were shared.

Brentford: Masters; Osborne, Heywood, Griffiths, Frampton; Ide (sub Brooker 45 mins), Mousinho, O'Connor, Kuffour; Moore (sub Willock 75 mins), Cox

Subs (not used): Brown, Charles, Pinault

Bookings: Moore (50 mins) (fifth of season) (suspended for one match, Port Vale December 16), Griffiths (80 mins) (seventh of season)

Tranmere Rovers: Ward; Stockdale (sub Tremarco 53 mins), Goodison, McCready, Sherriff; Shuker, McLaren, Mullin, Ellison; Taylor, Greenacre (sub Zola 61 mins)

Subs (not used): Achterberg, Harrison, Davies

Bookings: Stockdale (44 mins), Taylor (52 mins), Sherriff (90 mins)

Attendance: 4,878

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports