Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 at 19:00 PM


Two emphatic strikes from Brentford hit man Jo Kuffour gave The Bees a 2-1 win over Chesterfield, allowing them to end 2006 in style.

Kuffour struck his eighth and ninth goals of the season at a rain-sodden Griffin Park, the first inside two minutes the second half way through the second half, making Reuben Hazell's late strike irrelevant.

The Bees could not have got off to a better start when Kuffour broke the deadlock with just 75 seconds gone.

Nathan Abbey, making his Brentford debut with Clark Masters injured, launched a long ball downfield and Calum Willock rose to flick the ball on, Kuffour reacted quickest and steered a low shot past Barry Roche in the Chesterfield goal.

But that early goal was not to mark the start of a game laden with goalmouth action, although it was more exciting than the paucity of chances suggested.

Abbey was not forced into serious action until the 34th minutes when he saved easily from a Caleb Folan header, he also denied Paul Shaw while Paul Hall fire into the side netting.

Brentford skipper Kevin O'Connor could have doubled the lead but curled a free kick narrowly wide and Willock had appeals for a penalty turned down when he flicked the ball past Roche and went down under the keeper's challenge.

Folan could have pulled the visitors level when he picked up a long ball forward and fired in a shot but Abbey saved well and with rain of Biblical proportions lashing west London Kuffour doubled Brentford's lead.

Paul Brooker slipped a delightful pass through the Chesterfield defence; Kuffour controlled and drilled a shot across Roche and in.

Simon Cox fired a free kick wide but with gale-force winds making the match a lottery Chesterfield got a foothold in the game.

Mark Allott's deep free kick found Hazell inside the Brentford area and he steered an effort past Abbey and into the corner.

The Bees had to withstand a modicum of Chesterfield pressure, Allott shot wide and Adam Smith forced Abbey into a pair of low saves.

But Brentford still pressed, O'Connor curled another free kick wide and Kuffour forced Hazell to head narrowly past his own post after a fine run and cross.

Referee Mick Thorpe finally brought the game to a halt after five minutes of stoppage time and for the first time in 119 days Brentford picked up a full compliment of points.

Brentford: Abbey; Osborne, Heywood, Griffiths, Frampton; Brooker (sub Charles 83 mins), Mousinho, O'Connor, Cox (sub Tillen 79 mins); Willock, Kuffour

Subs (not used): Brown, Peters, Pinault

Bookings: Mousinho (70 mins) (fifth of season) (suspended for one match, AFC Bournemouth, January 6)

Chesterfield: Roche; Bailey (sub Smith 70 mins), Downes, Hazell, Picken; Hall (sub Davies 73 mins), Allott, Niven, Hurst: Folan, Shaw (sub Allison 73 mins)

Subs (not used): Kovacs, Jordan

Attendance: 4,540

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports