Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 11 Jan 07 at 14:24 PM


Despite a fine penalty save from Brentford goalkeeper Nathan Abbey The Bees slipped to another defeat, this time to AFC Bournemouth.

Former England international Darren Anderton was the difference between the teams, scoring a fine winning goal moments before half time but it took a fantastic series of late saves from Bournemouth goalkeeper Neil Moss to preserve the lead.

The goal came after Bees' debutant David Partridge was penalised for a foul on Steve Fletcher and Anderton drilled the ball round the wall and past Abbey into the bottom corner.

It was the key moment of a pulsating game that should have produced more than just the one goal.

James Hayter seemed certain to seal the win when he won a penalty off Andrew Frampton with just under twenty minutes left to play but Abbey dived to his right to save Hayter's spot kick.

And that was just the best of numerous good chances at either end with both goalkeepers making a number of fine saves.

The home side could have taken the lead within the first five minutes when Marcus Browning let fly from the edge of the box, Adam Griffiths deflected the ball over the top for a corner with the Bournemouth players appealing that it had hit the Australian defender's hand.

Eddie Howe should have scored from the resulting corner when Fletcher nodded down but the ball squirmed wide and Abbey saved well from Fletcher soon after.

Moss was soon in action preventing Neil Young scoring an own goal from a Frampton cross and even when Joe Keith beat him, after a fine piece of trickery, Marc Wilson, who was drafted into the home team late on, cleared the shot off the line.

And when Anderton scored just before the break it seemed Brentford might rue that clearance but the second half provided even more entertainment and more fine saves from Moss.

He saved from a Calum Willock header and again from a low shot by the same player while Fletcher produced a great header underneath his own bar to deny Partridge.

At the other end Browning blasted over the bar from six yards with the goal gaping, Abbey saved well from Fletcher and Brett Pitman missed a close range header.

The same player then fired wide after Abbey spilled a Stephen Purches shot but the Brentford keeper inspired his team with a fine penalty save and from then on it was Moss who was most under threat.

Michael Leary, who was outstanding on debut, had a shot deflected wide, Willock headed across the six yard box and Jo Kuffour's header from a fine Paul Brooker cross was brilliantly tipped away.

Brooker was the architect of The Bees' late push, he set up Leary for a header that Moss saved when it looked as though it was past him and the same combination forced the Cherries' stopper into another great save in stoppage time.

But Brentford couldn't beat the inspired goalkeeper and were left with nothing to show for their efforts on their travels once again.

AFC Bournemouth: Moss; Purches, Young, Howe, Wilson; Anderton (sub Hollands 79 mins), Browning, Hayter, Lawson (sub Gowling 88 mins); Fletcher, Pitman

Subs (not used): Stewart, Cooke, Sainsbury


Brentford:Abbey; O'Connor, Griffiths, Partridge, Frampton; Ide (sub Brooker 74 mins), Pinault (sub Cox 78 mins), Leary, Keith; Kuffour, Willock

Subs (not used): Brown, Charles, Tillen

Bookings: Partridge (41 mins) (second of season), Pinault (55 mins) (fourth of season), Leary (68 mins) (second of season), Cox (88 mins) (fourth of season)

Attendance: 5,782

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports