Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 22 Jan 07 at 09:31 AM


A solitary goal from Yeovil striker Leon Best denied Brentford, who finished with nine men, a point at Huish Park.

The Bees were reduced to ten after just five minutes when David Partridge was dismissed by referee Mike Jones.

Brentford were breaking after a Yeovil free-kick when play was halted by Mr Jones, he produced a red card for Partridge and intimated that the Welsh defender had aimed a head butt at Best.

And though that presented the visitors with an uphill struggle, and a defensive re-shuffle with Andrew Frampton and Joe Keith forced into unfamiliar roles, they fought manfully.

It took 50 minutes for the home side to make their man advantage count and was one of few clear cut openings they created.

Chris Cohen, who scored the winning goal when the two sides met in October, broke clear on the left and picked out Best expertly, he slid the ball past Nathan Abbey and into the net.

It took the home side a while to come to terms with playing against ten men and they didn't create much in the early stages.

Best fired into the side netting, Wayne Gray shot wide and Michael Leary deflected a Cohen header away from goal.

But Brentford were not completely shot-less, Charlie Ide brought a save from Stephen Mildenhall with a looping header and Jo Kuffour fired straight at the Yeovil stopper from a tight angle after out-muscling Terrell Forbes.

Even after the break The Bees continued to fight well, making it difficult for the home side, Terry Skiverton volleyed wide and soon after Best broke the deadlock.

But still the hosts could not over-run their visitors, though they did create better chances.

Aaron Davies hit the outside of a post and Best headed wide from four yards out when it seemed easier to school from a Davies cross.

Brentford could have made them pay for missing those chances, Ide forced Mildenhall into a low save and substitute Calum Willock hit the post when he lofted the ball over the Yeovil stopper from a tight angle.

Best could have sewn it up but shot straight at Abbey when clean through and when Brentford had a last ditch corner they threw everyone, including their goalkeeper, into the box.

But Yeovil broke and Ishmael Welsh was going clear, debutant Che Wilson appeared to disposes the nippy forward but Mr Jones deemed he had fouled him and the Bees' defender was sent off for a last man tackle.

The final whistle was blown soon after and Brentford's efforts had come to nothing.

Yeovil Town: Mildenhall; Lindegaard, Skiverton, Forbes, Jones; Davies, Kalala, Cohen; Gray (sub Welsh 65 mins), Stewart, Best

Subs (not used): Tonkin, Guyett, Barry, Maher

Bookings: Skiverton (24 mins), Gray (45 mins)

Brentford: Abbey; Wilson, Griffiths, Partridge, Frampton; Brooker (sub Willock 79 mins), Mousinho, Leary, Keith; Kuffour, Ide (sub Peters 87 mins)

Subs (not used): Brown, Charles, Pinault

Bookings: Leary (49 mins) (fourth of season)

Red Cards: Partridge (6 mins), Wilson (90 mins)

Attendance: 5,373 (437 Bees fans)

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports