Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 14 Apr 07 at 19:25 PM


Brentford surrendered a two-goal lead for the second time in three home games as promotion-chasing Nottingham Forest won 4-2 at Griffin Park.

When Charlie Ide doubled The Bees' lead with a fine strike just after half time, adding to a brilliant Thomas Pinault goal, the home side looked set to hand Barry Quin a win in his first game in charge.

But Forest hit back, David Prutton pulled a goal back almost immediately and two strikes from Kris Commons and a Grant Holt penalty gave the Trent-side team all three points.

After a slow start where Commons shot wide, James Perch brought a save out of Stuart Nelson and Lewis McGugan blazed wide when well placed, Brentford grew in stature.

Ide shot wide from the edge of the box and just past the quarter hour a moment of brilliance from Pinault broke the deadlock.

The Frenchman cut inside Prutton and chipped the ball from the left edge of the penalty box over former Brentford goalkeeper Paul Smith and into the far corner.

After taking the lead Brentford kept the ball, limiting their opponents, Kevin O'Connor had a free kick saved and Lloyd Owusu curled an effort over the top.

But Forest came back into the game, Jack Lester headed wide, McGugan fired a free kick over and Perch lashed a shot over at the far post after a Commons cross flew across the six-yard box.

Brentford had just about deserved their half time lead and when Ide added a second, drilling home an Owusu lay-off after the powerful striker had refused to allow Forest to clear a long ball, they looked likely to take the points.

But when Prutton scored five minutes later, heading home at the far post after Ian Breckin had flicked on a Commons corner, the game was back on.

Nelson saved brilliantly at the feet of Grant Holt to maintain Brentford's lead and around the hour mark they should have wrapped the game up.

Ide brought a save from Smith with a smart turn and shot and the same player fizzed an effort narrowly over after a fine Pinault pass but the best chance fell to Michael Leary.

When Breckin headed a Paul Brooker free kick out of Smith's hands the ball dropped to the loan midfielder but he blasted over with the goal gaping, and minutes later Forest were level.

Lester spread a pass out to Commons who cut inside and drilled a shot underneath Nelson and into the net.

Pinault almost grabbed his second Brentford goal after a nice pass from O'Connor but it was Forest who got their noses in front.

Lester fell to the floor under the challenge of Adam Griffiths and Grant Holt lashed the penalty past Nelson.

Brentford refused to be beaten, Smith turned a fierce Brooker shot was away and substitute Ross Montague could have grabbed a debut goal when he headed a fine Joe Keith cross narrowly over.

But Nelson was also busy, saving from Lester and watching Breckin head narrowly wide.

Forest sealed the win in stoppage time when Commons raced clear, after picking up a fine Lester pass, and chipped the ball past Nelson to give the score line a flattering edge.

Brentford: Nelson; Mousinho (sub Willock 79 mins), Griffiths, Frampton, Keith; Leary (sub Charles 90 mins), O'Connor, Pinault, Brooker; Owusu, Ide (sub Montague 76 mins)

Subs (not used): Masters, Osborne

Bookings: Nelson (75 mins), Leary (86 mins) (tenth of season)

Nottingham Forest: Smith; Curtis, Breckin, Chambers, Wright (sub Morgan 84 mins (sub Bennett 89 mins)); Perch, Prutton, McGugan (sub Gary Holt 81 mins), Commons; Lester, Grant Holt

Subs (not used): Pedersen, Power

Bookings: Grant Holt (37 mins), Lester (50 mins)

Attendance: 6,637

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports