Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 28 Aug 07 at 09:37 AM


John Mousinho's first goal in professional football proved to be the winner, as Brentford picked up their first win of the season, beating Barnet 2-1 at Griffin Park.

The central midfielder settled an incident packed game, which saw Brentford awarded two penalties and both teams finish with ten men, twenty minutes before the end as The Bees continued their unbeaten start to the league campaign.

A slow opening gave no sign of the action that was to come as the visitors started slightly the better but neither goalkeeper was particularly tested.

Barnet's Anthony Thomas fired over early on and Brentford stopper Ben Hamer saved easily from a long-range Jason Puncheon effort soon after and gathered a free kick from the same player later in the half.

Lee Thorpe, who's afternoon was to end just before half time, blasted well wide after a fine turn before having the first real sight of goal when he headed a Sammy Moore corner up and over the bar when unmarked.

Stevland Angus, the other player to take an early bath courtesy of referee Melin, miss-hit an effort and Thomas and Puncheon again missed the target with long-range shots.

Charlie Ide forced the first real save of the afternoon from Lee Harrison when he met a Ben Starosta cross on the volley but Lee Harrison saved well and the game swung in Barnet's favour in first half stoppage time as Thorpe was dismissed by referee Melin.

But after a half time re-shuffle the home side came out brighter and took the lead five minutes after the re-start.

Ide darted into the box, slipping between two challenges, and was brought crashing down by Max Porter.

Mr Melin pointed to the spot and Kevin O'Connor sent Harrison the wrong way to notch his second goal of the season.

Unfortunately that was to be Ide's last real involvement as he was stretchered off seven minutes later and replaced, in a bold and ultimately decisive move by Bees' boss Terry Butcher, by Ryan Peters.

Barnet had failed to test Hamer in the first half but began to make their extra man count, Adam Birchall flicked a header from a Hendon cross just wide and the same player forced Hamer into a low save moments later.

It was no real surprise when the visitors equalised just past the hour mark when Puncheon cut in off the right flank and lashed a shot past Hamer, who didn't move and appeared unsighted, and into the bottom corner.

But Brentford once again asserted their authority, making light of having ten-men, John Mackie had a header from a Moore corner cleared off the line and Mousinho almost got on the end of another Moore cross.

Danny Hart pulled a shot wide at the other end but it was the home side who got the crucial next goal with twenty minutes left.

Once again Mr Melin was at the centre of the action, awarding a penalty against Angus for hauling down Peters as he tried to latch on to a Moore through ball.

Angus was the last man and Mr Melin sent him off but Harrison appeared to have salvaged the situation for Barnet when he saved the spot kick from O'Connor, who put it in exactly the same place as his first effort.

But with the Barnet defence stood still, waiting for who-knows-what, Mousinho reacted quickest and lashed home what proved to be the winning goal.

Barnet went in search of another equaliser, Thomas shot wide and Hendon fired over while Harrison saved superbly from a Mackie header at the other end.

But there was to be no further action and Brentford clinched the win.

Brentford: Hamer; Starosta, Mackie, Osborne, Basey; Moore, Pettigrew, Mousinho; O'Connor (sub Poole 85 mins), Thorpe, Ide (sub Peters 58 mins)

Subs (not used): Brown, Pead, Smith


Sent Off: Thorpe (45 mins)

Barnet: Harrison; Hendon, Angus, Burton (sub O'Cearuill 48 mins), Nicolau; Porter, Leary (sub Hart 20 mins (sub Hatch 72 mins)), Seanla, Puncheon; Birchall, Thomas

Subs (not used): Beckwith, Grazioli


Sent Off: Angus (69 mins)

Attendance: 4,744

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports