Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 15 Sep 07 at 19:24 PM


Brentford suffered their second defeat in a week as two goals from captain Keith Andrews and a late Jemal Johnson strike gave Milton Keynes Dons a 3-0 victory at Griffin Park.

The visitors were full value for a half time lead, given to them by Andrews with a goal midway through the first period, and as Brentford pressed forward after the break the visitors wrapped the game up.

After a slow start, where the visitors held the upper hand but couldn't create many openings, it was MK who had the first sight of goal but Jude Stirling's effort cleared the Ealing Road stand.

However that was a sign of things to come with the visitors creating all the chances, Andrews chipped an effort wide and the dangerous midfield man then blasted over when well placed.

Leon Knight almost embarrassed the Brentford defence when he nipped in between Ben Hamer and Matthew Heywood as they hesitated but the Brentford custodian turned away the shot and MK didn't have to wait long for a goal.

When the resulting corner was only half cleared Andrews he picked the ball up 35 yards out and let fly, the ball eluded the grasp of Hamer, slipping underneath the young goalkeeper, and nestled in the back of the net.

Brentford's first attempt came on the half hour when Lee Thorpe nodded a Gary Smith pass into the path of John Mousinho but the ball flew over the bar and it was soon the home side on the defensive again.

Andrews and Dean Lewington fired efforts off target just before the break and Knight shot wide when it seemed easier to score seconds after the re-start after a nice move involving Lloyd Dyer and Aaron Wilbraham.

The Bees switched things around at half time, introducing Glenn Poole and switching to a flat 4-4-2 and the change improved their play.

Poole shot wide after Mousinho and Smith created a sight of goal and Charlie Ide came close to equalising when he got in behind the MK defence, but the ball wouldn't sit down and when he got his shot away Willy Gueret was able to turn it wide.

Wilbraham forced a save from Hamer at the other end and Adrian Pettigrew blocked well from Knight as the game opened up.

The introduction of Ricky Shakes, with Brentford playing two out and out wide men, improved The Bees further.

Shakes almost caught Gueret out of position with a curling cross and Lewington diverted a Grant Basey free kick narrowly wide of his own goal.

From the resulting corner the visitors failed to clear and Ben Starosta's chipped pass caught them square, Pettigrew tried to latch onto the ball but miss-kicked and the chance had gone.

Moments later the game was over.

Substitute Johnson picked the ball up on the edge of the box, darted past Pettigrew and pulled the ball back for Andrews, who lashed home.

Brentford continued to press, Gueret saved from a Poole free kick and was helped by his defenders when Heywood looked set to turn home the re-bound but Johnson wrapped the game up in the dying seconds.

Hamer had already saved well from the on-loan striker but after preventing Gareth Edds extending the lead with two blocks he could do nothing to prevent Johnson volleying home the loose ball to ensure MK took the points.

Brentford: Hamer; Starosta, Osborne (sub Poole h/t), Heywood, Basey; Pettigrew; Mousinho, Smith (sub Shakes 68 mins); O'Connor; Ide (sub Peters 89 mins), Thorpe

Subs (not used): Brown, Connell

Bookings: Mousinho (27 mins), Pettigrew (52 mins), O'Connor (57 mins)

Milton Keynes Dons: Gueret; Diallo, O'Hanlon, Swailes, Lewington; Stirling, Navarro, Andrews, Dyer (sub Edds 85 mins); Wilbraham (sub Smart 89 mins), Knight (sub Johnson 77 mins)

Subs (not used): Abbey, Murphy

Bookings: Stirling (15 mins), Swailes (19 mins), Andrews (80 mins)

Attendance: 4,476

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports