Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 24 Sep 07 at 11:31 AM


We would like to apologise for the lack of team line-ups on the site before this afternoon's match. We were unable to connect to the internet inside the Deva Stadium. We apologise for any inconvenience. Second half goals from Lee Thorpe and Sammy Moore helped Brentford to a 2-0 win on the road as they beat Chester City at the Deva Stadium. After an entertaining first half where both teams would have asked how they had failed to score Brentford took control after the break. Thorpe broke the deadlock early in the second period when he lashed home after the home side failed to deal with a corner and Moore sealed the win with a late second. Brentford had the better of the opening moments and Alan Connell could have opened the scoring inside the first three minutes after a nice Thorpe lay off but John Danby saved well. Glenn Poole had already shot over from a free kick and had an even better chance when a chipped pass from Ben Starosta caught the home defence square, the winger cut inside and steadied himself but Danby blocked well and Thorpe's follow up was also blocked. Moore also brought an early save from Danby while Mark Hughes headed wide when well placed at the other end and Kevin Ellison fired a free kick over the bar. Simon Yeo was proving to be a danger for the home side but had clearly forgotten his shooting boots; he shot straight at Simon Brown after slipping past John Mackie and failed to convert an Ellison cross from eight yards out. Richie Partridge could have done better than shoot weakly at Brown and Yeo almost broke the deadlock when a shot deflected off Ricky Shakes and looped over Brown but the ball hit the post and the Brentford goalkeeper scrambled it away. Brentford had already rattled the crossbar when Poole let fly from 35 yards and beat Danby all ends up but it cannoned away off the woodwork and Thorpe forced a save from the Chester stopper with a fierce shot after racing on to a Moore pass. Chester finished the first half in the ascendancy, Ellison shot wide, Yeo shot straight at Brown after an Adrian Pettigrew slip let him in and John Murphy wasted a golden chance by heading straight at the Brentford goalkeeper At the other end another fierce Poole shot flew straight at Danby and the Chester keeper also denied Connell as half time approached but eight minutes into the second half Brentford did get their noses in front. Mackie rose to meet a Moore corner and as Pettigrew tried to turn it home and the Chester defence panicked Thorpe seized on the loose ball to lash home. The goal only served to boost the visitors' confidence, Poole shot wide and Connell tested Danby with a cross-cum-shot but Chester refused to lie down. Ellison volleyed wide, Yeo headed over and Hughes blasted a shot over the top but Brentford were restricted the hosts to hopeful long range attempts. The best sight of goal fell to centre half Phil Bolland who met a Hughes free kick ten yards out but powered a header wide while Nathan Lowndes also came close when he cut inside Mackie but shot straight at Brown and it was Brentford who sealed the win late on. Starosta almost scored his first Brentford goal when he picked up a Thorpe lay off but Danby saved well and moments later it was Moore who settled things. Starosta and Charlie Ide combined on the right and the latter slipped a delightful ball through, Moore raced clear and slotted the ball under Danby to ensure The Bees took all three points. Chester City: Danby; Marples, Bolland, Butler, Wilson; Partridge (sub Rutherford 73 mins), Grant (sub Roberts 82 mins), Hughes, Ellison; Yeo (sub Lowndes 73 mins), Murphy Subs (not used): Ward, Sandwith Bookings: Roberts (90 mins) Brentford: Brown; Starosta, Mackie, Pettigrew, Charles; Shakes, Moore, O'Connor, Poole; Thorpe (sub Smith 90 mins), Connell (sub Ide 72 mins) Subs (not used): Hamer, Pead, Osborne Bookings: Mackie (22 mins) Attendance: 2,453 (271 Bees fans) Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports