Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 06 Oct 07 at 18:20 PM


Winger Luke Webb grabbed two goals in three minutes to condemn Brentford to an away defeat as Hereford United beat The Bees at Edgar Street.

The visitors had the better of the first half hour but Webb struck the opening goal in the 31st minute and when he added a second soon after there was no way back for The Bees.

Alan Connell thought he had given Brentford hope with a goal mid-way through the second period but it was ruled out for offside and Hereford saw the game out comfortably.

The hosts had the better of the early stages and Matthew Heywood had to produce a fantastic last-ditch tackle to prevent Theo Robinson opening the scoring after he got a lucky ricochet when exchanging passes with Steve Guinan but Brentford were soon on top.

The Bees had the better of the possession and were creating openings but Simon Brown had to be alert to stop a low Kris Taylor drive at the other end.

When the chances came they fell to Connell, who was unable to convert a Lee Thorpe nod down under pressure from Toumani Diagouraga and then volleyed wide as the hosts failed to clear a Thorpe cross.

Brentford were made to rue those misses when Diagouraga fed Guinan who found Clint Easton, the ball was worked to Webb who drilled home.

And minutes later Ben Smith burst into the box and fired the ball across, Diagouraga couldn't finish but Webb made no mistake.

Hereford could have put the game well beyond Brentford but half time, Brown saved well to deny Webb a hat-trick and Easton fired narrowly over after a nice one-two with Guinan while Connell came close to pulling one back at the other end with a fierce drive after turning well but the ball flew wide.

Brentford knew they needed to come out after the break and find a quick response but it was Hereford who continued to have the best chances, Brown saved well from a Webb free kick and the same player sliced a shot wide.

Attempts on goal were few and far between but Connell did force a save from Wayne Brown in the home goal and then had a goal ruled out when the referee's assistant ruled he turned home a Thorpe cross from an offside position.

Ricky Shakes flicked a Connell cross wide and Darius Charles narrowly failed to connect with a Glenn Poole free kick as Brentford strived unsuccessfully for a way back into the match.

And they had to be alert at the other end, Smith fired wide, Trevor Benjamin had a shot blocked and Robinson was denied by a Kevin O'Connor tackle.

Craig Pead had an effort deflected wide late on but The Bees couldn't even get a consolation and headed home with nothing to show from the afternoon.

Hereford United: Brown; McClenahan, Broadhurst, Beckwith, Taylor; Webb, Diagouraga, Easton, Robinson, Guinan (sub Benjamin 80 mins)

Subs (not used): Ingham, McCombe, Rose, Johnson

Bookings: Beckwith (56 mins)

Brentford: Brown; O'Connor, Mackie, Heywood, Basey (sub Starosta 79 mins); Moore (sub Shakes 58mins), Mousinho, Pead, Poole; Thorpe, Connell (sub Charles 79 mins)

Subs (not used): Hamer, Pettigrew

Bookings: Connell (41 mins) (second of season), Mackie (47 mins) (third of season), Thorpe (48 mins), Mousinho (60 mins) (second of season), Heywood (69 mins), O'Connor (90 mins) (second of season)

Attendance: 2,942 (355 Bees fans)

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports