Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 29 Oct 07 at 17:01 PM


Brentford secured their fourth win of the season at Griffin Park, thanks to substitute Sammy Moore's close range effort ten minutes from time. And it was the least that the home side deserved as they dominated the match almost from the off. Brentford manager Terry Butcher made two changes to the side that drew with Rochdale last weekend. New signing Lewis Emanuel started at left-back following Grant Basey's return to Charlton, and Alan Connell was recalled to the starting line-up, with Ricky Shakes dropping to the bench. Connell started as the front man of a 'diamond' midfield formation, with Kevin O'Connor and Craig Pead in the centre and Glenn Poole sitting just behind them. Lincoln could easily have taken the lead under bizarre circumstances after just 15 seconds - John Mackie passed the ball back to Simon Brown, and the Bees' keeper's attempt to clear the ball upfield hit Ben Wright on the back and deflected just wide of the home side's goal. The next few minutes were tense and tight, as both sides figured each other out and the first real action came after 11 minutes, as Connell turned on the edge of the box and hit a left-footed shot that deflected onto the roof of the Lincoln net. From the resultant corner Mackie's mis-hit shot found Kevin O'Connor, whose overhead effort flew over. Brentford stepped up the pressure and again came close on 13 minutes, as Poole cut in from the left and drilled a cross right across the face of goal. Charlie Ide then saw his shot blocked from the edge of the penalty area before Poole saw his fierce effort deflected over. From Craig Pead's resultant corner, the unmarked O'Connor headed straight at Lincoln keeper Alan Marriott. On 28 minutes Connell picked up the ball from Pead and played in Lee Thorpe, who couldn't divert his shot goalwards on the stretch. Two minutes later Lincoln had their first real attack of the half and should have opened the scoring. Scott Kerr's whipped cross beat the first line of the Brentford defence and Wright stabbed the ball straight into Brown's arms from four yards. Brentford came straight back, Lewis Emanuel's 25 yard volley fizzing a couple of yards wide, before Lee Frecklington failed to test Brown with a 25-yarder at the other end. Five minutes later Frecklington should have done better from six yards following another dangerous Kerr cross, and moments later Mackie produced an excellent last ditch tackle to deny Wright a shooting opportunity following Emanuel's sliced clearance, in what was the last real action of the first half. Brentford started brightly in the second half, and Glenn Poole was at the heart of it, with Ben Starosta also exploiting gaps in the Lincoln defence as the Bees searched for an opener. On 48 minutes Mackie couldn't divert Starosta's cross goalwards, and two minutes later Poole let fly from fully 30 yards - his shot missing the far post by inches with Marriott seemingly beaten. Moments later Ide latched onto Pead's clever pass and as his cross deflected it eluded Thorpe's run by the smallest of margins. Connell then hit a shot tamely wide from the edge of the box, before another Ide cross caused problems for the visiting defence - this time it was Matt Heywood who just failed to capitalise. On 64 minutes Poole found Starosta with a wonderful 50 yard cross-field pass, Starosta exchanged passes with Pead before crossing dangerously but again to no avail. Ide then saw his cross-shot deflected wide after more good work from Starosta. With The Bees battling but for no reward, Terry Butcher made two substitutions on 71 minutes that changed the course of the game. Sammy Moore replaced Thorpe, who had battled hard against his former club, and Ross Montague made his first start of the season, replacing Ide. Montague was the first to make an impact, playing a good ball out to Emanuel who saw his precision cross met by the Connell, who did superbly to angle his header towards goal, only for the ball to smack the post with Marriott at full stretch to his right. Two minutes later Marriott was again at full-stretch, this time tipping the impressive Poole's 35 yard volley around the post. A few home supporters thought their side had taken the lead on 77, as Poole kept a seemingly lost cause alive, his cross wasn't properly dealt with by the visiting defence, and Mackie smashed the ball into the side netting from a tight angle. However two minutes the decisive goal that the Bees' domination deserved finally materialised. A quickly-taken Poole free-kick found Emanuel in space on the left, he drilled the ball powerfully across goal, and Moore arrived first at the far-post to bundle the ball home from close-range, in front of an ecstatic Ealing Road end. Brentford then defended resolutely for ten minutes, soaking up Lincoln pressure and counter-attacking when possible, and nearly doubled their lead in the first of four added minutes at the end. Poole's 25 yard free-kick was struck with swerve and power, and with Marriott rooted to the spot, the ball cannoned off the far post, hitting Marriott on the backside and somehow avoiding the gaping goal, spinning out for a corner. With moments remaining, Emanuel threw his body in the way of a Wright effort from eight yards, before Brown held a Dany N'Guessan effort comfortably, before the final whistle sounded to the relief, and delight of the majority of the 4,368 fans present. Written by Matt Davis Brentford line-up as follows - Simon Brown; Starosta, Mackie, Heywood, Emanuel; Ide (Montague 71), Pead (Pettigrew 90), O'Connor, Poole; Connell, Thorpe (Moore 71) Subs (not used): Masters, Shakes Bookings: None Att - 4,368

    Latest Match Reports