Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 03 Nov 07 at 18:06 PM


Another brilliant Glenn Poole goal and a fine volley from Lee Thorpe ensured Brentford extended their unbeaten run to four games with a 2-1 win against Bradford City.

The Bees had to weather a storm of pressure from the home side soon after half time and again after Mark Bower pulled a goal back with two minutes to go but they battled through and took a fine away win.

The first half was a poor spectacle with few spells of good football and even fewer chances, Craig Pead fired narrowly over the bar and Poole forced a save from Donovan Ricketts with a fierce volley for the visitors but the home side probably had the slightly better openings.

Omar Daley shot over the top, Eddie Johnson had an effort deflected wide and Guylain Ndumbu-Nsungu volleyed wide.

Daley missed another decent opening before Poole brought the game to life with another brilliant goal, his third for The Bees.

Bradford failed to make a decent clearance from a long ball forward and Poole volleyed it with the outside of his left foot over Ricketts and into the net from fully 30 yards.

That spectacular goal enlivened a poor game but Bradford almost pulled level before the break when Ndumbu-Nsungu escaped from two challenges and squared to Barry Conlon, but the powerful striker shot wide.

The second half was more entertaining with the home side coming out all guns blazing and Brentford were at full stretch to hold on to their lead.

Kyle Nix curled a free kick just wide and Simon Brown reacted quickly to tip an Ndumbu-Nsungu header onto the cross bar, the re-bound dropped to Conlon but his attempted pull back found no-one when a shot might have been the better option.

The hosts continued to press but Conlon continued to fluff his lines, slicing an effort out for a throw in when well placed, and the balding striker was roundly booed when he was substituted minutes later.

Matthew Heywood blocked a fierce Nicky Law drive and the Bradford midfield man headed wide minutes later but it was Brentford who got the next goal, more than a little against the run of play.

Sammy Moore broke free on the left, racing onto a fine Alan Connell pass, and although his cut back couldn't fine Ricky Shakes, Thorpe was waiting to volley home what proved to be the winning goal.

The Bees' top scorer almost added a third minutes later but he headed a Shakes cross over the top and Thorpe should have put the game out of Bradford's reach when he raced free after Bower misjudged a header, but fired over.

Having established a two-goal lead Brentford thrived, happy to hold the ball and utilise Shakes' pace on the right, Connell volleyed over on the turn and would surely have scored moments later had Shakes fed him rather than shooting harmlessly over.

Moore fired wide as time ticked on but just when Brentford seemed set for a comfortable finish Bradford hit back.

The Bees failed to clear a corner and Bower nodded home from ten yards to set up a nail-biting climax.

But the visitors showed they still had the upper hand, dealing with everything their hosts could muster in the final moments to take home the three points.

Bradford City: Ricketts; Williams, Wetherall, Bower, Heckingbottom; Daley, Johnson, Law, Nix (sub Rhodes 75 mins); Conlon (sub Medley 63 mins), Ndumbu-Nsungu (sub Evans 85 mins)

Subs (not used): Saynor, Clarke

Bookings: Evans (90 mins)

Brentford: Brown; Starosta, Heywood, Mackie, Emanuel; O'Connor; Pead, Moore, Poole (sub Shakes 51 mins); Thorpe (sub Montague 67 mins), Connell (sub Charles 83 mins)

Subs (not used): Masters, Pettigrew

Bookings: O'Connor (52 mins) (third of season)

Attendance: 13,326 (184 Bees fans)

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports