Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 06 Nov 07 at 23:44 PM


A scrappy Danny Thomas goal brought Brentford's four match unbeaten run to an end at Moss Rose as Macclesfield Town defeated The Bees 1-0.

A game lacking in quality and excitement got the winning goal it deserved with less than a quarter of an hour remaining.

Substitute Simon Wiles was at the heart of it, breaking free on the right and putting a dangerous ball across the box, John Mackie could only divert it towards goal and though Simon Brown kept out his captain's header Thomas lashed it home.

The hosts probably had the better of things, creating chances in the first half and after they took the lead while Brentford probably didn't make the most of their possession and territory.

Macclesfield could have been ahead early on when Ben Starosta diverted a Kevin McIntyre free kick against his own post but Brentford went close themselves when Glenn Poole looped a volley from 25 yards over home goalkeeper Tommy Lee but against the crossbar.

Kevin O'Connor also tested Lee with a long range effort later in the half but it was The Silkmen who had the better of the chances.

Martin Gritton should have scored when he headed a Thomas cross wide from eight yards and his strike partner Gareth Evans had an equally good opening when clean through but Brown saved his first shot and the striker miss-hit the re-bound.

Levi Reid fired over and Gritton nodded wide as the hosts pressed while Terry Dunfield stung Brown's palms with a fierce shot.

Sammy Moore brought a save from Lee with a wicked low effort from 25 yards and Alan Connell was out-muscled by Luke Dimech as he tried to turn in the re-bound, with referee Oliver waving away appeals for a foul.

The nearest either side came to a first half goal was moments before the break when Evans lashed in a shot from a Gritton nod down which took a flick off Moore and crashed against the crossbar.

Having been under the cosh for much of the first half Brentford came out and began to exert control, maintaining possession without creating any real chances.

Lee Thorpe screwed a volley wide and seemed unfortunate not to win his team a penalty when Mr Oliver waved away appeals the Bees' top scorer had been shoved in the back when he seemed set to head home a Moore corner.

At the other end Gritton headed across the face of goal and Mackie reacted well to block a Dimech volley but with quality in short supply there was no real flow to the game.

And serious looking injuries for Macclesfield captain Richard Edghill and Brentford left back Lewis Emanuel only hindered that further.

When Thomas struck with 14 minutes remaining it immediately looked like being the only goal of the game.

Poole brought a save from Lee as Brentford tried to force their way back into the match and Evans cleared a Thorpe header off the line but Macclesfield had the better openings.

Wiles was proving to be a real danger, he lashed a shot into the side netting after skipping past Darius Charles and Evans blazed over from eight yards after more good work from the wide man.

Evans did get the ball in the net late on, reacting quickest when a Thomas cross wasn't cleared, but the goal was ruled out for a foul by Wiles on Charles.

But it proved not to matter as Thomas' goal was enough to give the hosts the points.

Macclesfield Town: Lee; Edghill (sub Wiles 73 mins), Dimech, McNulty (sub Regan h/t), McIntyre; Reid, Murray (sub Tolley 73 mins), Dunfield, Thomas; Gritton, Evans

Subs (not used): Brain, Husbands

Bookings: Reid (79 mins)

Brentford: Brown; Starosta, Heywood, Mackie, Emanuel (sub Charles 81 mins); O'Connor; Pead, Moore, Poole; Thorpe, Connell (sub Shakes 63 mins)

Subs (not used): Masters, Pettigrew, Montague


Attendance: 1,378

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports