Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 20 Dec 07 at 22:53 PM


Two second half goals from Alan Connell propelled Brentford to a fine away win as they came from a goal down to beat Wrexham 3-1.

The home side lead at the break through a Chris Llewellyn goal but Connell equalised midway through the second half and sealed the game with a late third after Wrexham central defender Steve Evans had given Brentford the lead with a comical own goal.

The Bees were probably unfortunate to be behind at the break, having had the better chances and more of the ball, but they were unable to put the ball in the back of the net.

Connell curled a free kick narrowly wide early on and Ryan Dickson headed weakly into the arms of Wrexham goalkeeper Anthon Williams soon after before the left winger went close with a free kick soon after.

The hosts took a while to get going, Mark Jones had a shot blocked and Wes Baynes fired over but Brentford were doing most of the attacking, and playing the better football.

Gary Smith, who was dominant in midfield, had a shot blocked after a nice break and Connell had a header cleared off the line as Brentford began to take a grip on the game.

Lee Thorpe came within a whisker of heading Brentford ahead from a Dickson free kick, but his effort cannoned to safety off a post and Wrexham took the lead against the run of play soon after.

Sam Aiston broke free on the left and picked out Neil Roberts with a deep cross, he nodded back across goal and Llewellyn headed home.

But that lead should have lasted less than two minutes as The Bees won a penalty when Dickson went down under the challenge of Shaun Pejic.

Thorpe grabbed the ball but Williams guessed right and saved his spot kick.

And Llewellyn could have made Brentford pay when he found space 15 yards out after a nice touch by Roberts but he sliced his effort wide of the far post.

Connell could have equalised just before half time when he headed an Ide cross over from six yards and the Brentford striker nodded into the arms of Williams soon after the break.

The second half took a while to get going but the introduction of Ricky Shakes on the hour mark gave The Bees an extra spark.

Neil Taylor had a shot saved and Llewellyn chipped over but with 25 minutes remaining Shakes found space and chipped in a cross, Connell got across his man and headed past Williams to level the scores.

And from then on Brentford took control, although it took a strange goal for them to get ahead.

Smith picked out Shakes with a nice through ball but the Bees winger missed his kick only for Evans to slide in and inexplicably knock the ball past Williams and into the net.

And six minutes later Connell sealed the win.

Shakes was again at the heart of it, when he found space and dinked a ball through to Connell, the former Hereford man swivelled and shot against a post and then reacted quickest when Wrexham failed to clear.

Dickson almost added a fourth with a long range shot which dipped just over the top and Glenn Poole chipped just over soon after.

The hosts tried to find a way back into the game and Llewellyn fired straight at Simon Brown before Aiston blazed over when it seemed easier to score.

The late pressure came to nothing and Brentford recorded an important away victory.

Wrexham: Williams; Pejic (sub Proctor 77 mins), Evans, Hope, Taylor; Baynes, Spann (sub Garrett 32 mins), Mark Jones (sub Done 55 mins), Aiston; Roberts, Llewellyn

Subs (not used): Michael Jones, Valentine

Bookings: Pejic (32 mins), Baynes (38 mins), Taylor (87 mins)

Brentford: Brown; Starosta, Heywood, Osborne, Charles; Ide (sub Shakes 60 mins), O'Connor, Smith (sub Poole 80 mins), Dickson; Connell (sub Sinclair 87 mins), Thorpe

Subs (not used): Masters, Moore

Bookings: Osborne (44 mins), Thorpe (45 mins) (second of season), Charles (71 mins) (fourth of season)

Attendance: 3,811 (122 Bees fans)

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports