Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 31 Dec 07 at 12:21 PM


Brentford ended 2007 in the best possible way with a comprehensive demolition of a Chester City side which came into the game on the verge of the play-off places.

Alan Connell's fourth goal in four games gave The Bees the perfect start and second half strikes from Ross Montague, his first in professional football, and Glenn Poole sealed the win.

It was no more than Brentford deserved, they dominated the match and the visitors could simply not cope with The Bees' work-rate and movement.

The hosts actually had the first sight of goal, Chris Holroyd shooting wide on the turn, but they were barely in the Brentford half for much of the afternoon, let alone the penalty area.

The first goal inside the opening four minutes, and set the pattern for the rest of the afternoon, as Brentford simply carved Chester open.

Kevin O'Connor was the architect, picking out Connell with a delightful through ball but the Bees striker still had much to do.

And he did it brilliantly, lofting the ball over John Danby in the Chester goal for his sixth of the season.

The hosts should have been out of sight by half time, Poole fired over and then wide with a stinging effort from 25 yards before Danby saved well to deny Charlie Ide, who played a one-two with Gary Smith and fired a little too close to the goalkeeper from ten yards.

Connell came close to a second goal when he fired a shot from fully 40 yards, but it flew narrowly wide and Danby saved well from a powerful Ryan Dickson shot soon after.

Connell had a goal ruled out for offside and Montague was unable to meet an Ide cross as Brentford continued to batter their promotion-chasing opponents.

Smith, who dominated the centre of the pitch with O'Connor, could have scored just before the break but opted to try and square the ball to Connell from the inside right channel when a shot might have proved more fruitful.

The Bees continued to dominate after half time, Connell shot wide after a powerful run and was unable to nod home when Danby couldn't gather a Matthew Heywood cross soon after.

The Chester stopper had to be alert to deny Poole when he lashed in a shot from 25 yards and Connell also tested him with a low shot.

Despite Brentford's dominance Chester almost found a way back into the match when Paul Rutherford tried to lob Simon Brown from 30 yards after the Bees keeper had miss-hit a clearance but the ball dropped narrowly wide.

Poole shot over the bar and Ricky Shakes had a shot deflect into the arms of Danby but with 14 minutes to go Montague settled the match.

Craig Pead, who slotted in to the right back position superbly, was involved in the build-up and helped create space for Smith to cut inside and lofted a cross to the far post where the young striker headed powerfully into the bottom corner.

Chester almost found a way back into the game straight from the kick off when Rutherford found space on the left and his cross re-bounded fortunately for Kevin Ellison, the balding striker managed to get the ball past Brown but Dickson cleared off the line.

With that chance gone Brentford resumed control and wrapped the game up completely soon after when Pead dashed down the right, skipped past Simon Marples and cut the ball back to Poole who fired home from 12 yards.

The visitors fought for an opening but could not break-through the well-marshalled Bees defence and Brentford completed the double over Chester to bring 2007 to a close.

Brentford: Brown; Pead, Heywood, Osborne, Dickson; Ide (sub Shakes h/t), O'Connor, Smith, Poole (sub Moore 84 mins); Connell, Montague

Subs (not used): Masters, Sinclair, Charles

Bookings: Smith (38 mins) (second of season)

Chester City: Danby; Vaughan, Butler, Linwood, Marples; Partridge, Hughes, Roberts, Yeo (SUB Rutherford 56 mins); Ellison, Holroyd

Subs (not used): Ward, Rule, McManus, Newton

Bookings: Hughes (25 mins), Rutherford (89 mins)

Attendance: 4,323

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports