Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 08 Mar 08 at 18:37 PM


A late Glenn Poole goal prevented Brentford being left immensely frustrated after spending 92 minutes failing to break down a spirited but limited Macclesfield Town side.

The left sided player headed home at the far post from an Alan Connell cross with less than 30 seconds of three minutes injury time remaining to give the home side a win they fully deserved.

The Bees dominated territory and had numerous chances, particularly in the later stages when they laid siege to the visitors' goal, but could not find a way past Jon Brain and his over-worked defenders before Poole's late strike.

Macclesfield offered almost nothing in attack, and withdrew their most dangerous player Francis Green late in the piece, and got everything they deserved when Poole's late sucker punch denied them the point they had come for.

The tone was set early on as Brentford had almost monopoly of the ball and Macclesfield were left to attack on the break.

Poole almost replicated his goal against Wycombe Wanderers in the first six minutes but volleyed narrowly wide from a Gary Smith corner and Connell brought a save from Brain soon after.

Sean Hessey had to produce a fine late interception to deny Connell, Poole had a shot wide and Nathan Elder headed a corner wide as Brentford continued to dominate.

Macclesfield were working hard to keep their goal in tact, and it was to the detriment of their attacking, Terry Dunfield had a shot which flew over, Shaun Brisley headed wide and Ricky Shakes produced a good tackle to deny Jamie Tolley but The Silkmen were not in Brentford's half often.

As half time approached The Bees began to take complete control, Brain tipped an Elder header onto a post, Shakes had a shot blocked by Ryan Cresswell when it seemed destined for the back of the net and Brain saved from Connell once again.

The second half followed the same pattern as the first with Macclesfield even less adventurous, if that was possible, with a Green shot wide and a Cresswell volley over the top their only attacking intent in the whole 45 minutes.

Smith had a volley well blocked by Hessey, Brain saved from Poole and then denied Elder before the Brentford striker had an overhead effort fly over after the Macclesfield stopper dropped a simple cross.

Brentford thought they had scored with ten minutes left when Ryan Dickson had a header blocked, Brain tipped Karleigh Osborne's re-bound header onto the bar and Alan Bennett's effort deflected wide.

From the resulting corner Osborne's shot was cleared off the line by Neil Ashton and second later Brain produced a brilliant save to deny Connell before Shakes shot wide.

It looked as if Brentford were to be denied but Poole popped up at the back post with seconds remaining to send Macclesfield back to Cheshire with exactly what their tactics deserved, nothing.

Brentford: Brown; Pead, Bennett, Osborne, Dickson; Shakes, Stone, Smith, Poole; Connell, Elder

Subs (not used): Hamer, Charles, Reid, W. Brown, Mousinho


Macclesfield Town: Brain; Cresswell, Brisley, Hessey; I. Reid, Tolley, Dunfield, Ashton; Evans, Symes, Green (sub Spencer 83 mins)

Subs (not used): Edghill, Walker, Jennings, Blackman

Bookings: Hessey (64 mins)

Attendance: 3,863 (141 away fans)

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports